• Suunto

Votes: 114 42.1%
  • Uwatec

Votes: 31 11.4%
  • Other

Votes: 33 12.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aeris Atmos Pro. I love it! Easy to read, nice backlight and replacing the batteries is easy.

Scott

My primary computer is a Compaq SP750 running dual 1ghz Xeon procs, and 3 15,000 rpm ultra 160 hdd and a Gloria II video card and 2 gig of 800mhz rdram. Running Win2k Adv Svr running as a Domain Ctrl, DNS, DHCP server. This is what I run at my house for my home network. At work is a bit newer high end unit....

Oh wait! you wanted to ask about Dive computers.... I havn't bought one yet but will be looking at either the Datamax pro plus or a Cobra

GD

Geek,
Compaq has a Proliant UW series which are basicly ML's with wrist straps. Very nice, check 'em out. :wink:

Suunto Stinger that lives in gauge mode....
Gives me time and depth....
Yes I have to squint....
Stopwatch feature....
Downloadable....
Deco Tables....
Rt. Pocket....
My brain....
Works....

So has anyone figured it out???
Think in terms of deco curve....
Let the dive speak to you....

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
Suunto Stinger that lives in gauge mode....
Gives me time and depth....
Yes I have to squint....
Stopwatch feature....
Downloadable....
Deco Tables....
Rt. Pocket....
My brain....
Works....

So has anyone figured it out???
Think in terms of deco curve....
Let the dive speak to you....
Be the bubble...
Rick :) :) :)

I use a Suunto Eon Lux console...

My only problem is that I purchased in HK where Bar/meters are the standard, while in the Philippines, PSI and feet is the common standard but thats agaoin way out of the discussion... anyways, I was adviced that Suunto has a very conservative algorithym. Uwatec is being pushed by most instructors here in the Philippines as the no 1 choice, and the Oceanic Data Plus as the second choice (due to price difference), stating that Iwatec is more agressive. I am looking to get into Nitorox in the near future, and looking to get a nitrox capable wrist computer, using my Suuto Eon Lux as my back-up, depth guage and air consumption monitor. Oceanic Data costs half the price of Aladin Ultra Pro... Is it realy worth the difference? I am leaning towards getting a more agressive computer to balance the conservative Suunto Eon. Should I wait for the Uwatec Smart series? Will the Oceanic Data plus match the consensus of agressiveness of Uwatec computers? Any idea on he cost of the new Uwatec Smart writs computer? Since I started diving, I've been lazy to log my dives... so i guess the downloadable to PC option is quite useful for me. Your comments please.:confused:

stokes :wink:

When we are underwater, we *are* the bubble. We can learn to recognize and accept this and gain a greater understanding of ourselves and our environment. This calls for both active thinking and passive acceptance of what is.

I think it is better to use a computer to backup the mind than the other way around.

When the computer starts giving you bad info, how do you know?

I am ordering a "Divers Black Box" from ReefNet;
http://www.reefnet.on.ca/ click on SENSUS.

To me one of the most usefull features of a computer (with this feature) is the ability to download an accurate profile of the dive. It is very educational to compare what you thought you dove to what the computer recorded.

In case of an accident, the record can be helpfull to the treating physician as well as to deco researchers.

michael

point well taken... and a very good point at that!

i must clarify though that i assumed that the mind is indeed first and foremost... computers are merely back-up tools...

:)

I'll trust my computer before I trust my own math... :confused:

BUT, I will always stay up-to-date on my knowledge of tables so I can calculate it out myself if I have to... I'm just from the era of computers, I don't fear them and I do have a certain faith in them.

Trust in Allah, but tie up your camel!

Trust your computer but cross check it.
If the numbers your computer are giving you seem out of whack, check them against your watch/depth gage/tables, then follow the more conservative path to end the dive. Have the equipment checked if there is any doubt.

I just sent a Oceanic Prodigy back because the dive planning mode was giving me crazy numbers, like 1h9m for no deco at 30'. This was with a unit that had not been in the water for at least 2 weeks.
Yes, it would seem to be on the side of caution but if it is not giving numbers consistent with the manual on something as simple as this should I trust it for anything?

Remember that the electronics are very reliable but the interface items are less so. It is very easy for a computer to be underreading the depth and if you don't catch it can get you in real trouble.

Use the computer, trust it but check and verify proper operation regularly.

michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom