computer for gas switching.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pieper1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
ok so im looking at buying a new computer and would like to know what others suggest. im thinking I may want one with the ability to switch gasses for deco. while I do not get into deco yet I might later on down the road and would like a computer I am not going to have to upgrade in a few years if I do. I know there are other planning options for deco but I would still like to have a computer as well if I get into it. Im hoping to stay around the 500 dollar range and do not need anything fancy just want it to do what it needs to. what are your suggestions and is there anything else I should be looking for in a computer??

read through the rest of the computer threads. current consensus right now

Buy a Petrel, best computer on the market, but $800
If you can't afford a petrel and want a new one, Hollis DG03 from Dive Gear Express

Best option is to buy this
Dive Rite Nitek Duo Scuba Diving Scuba Computer with Gauge Mode in DSS Boot | eBay
great little computer, only does two gas, but most of the time it is only back gas and one deco gas. Has gauge mode so you can run it as backup if you go into trimix later. Great user interface that's super easy to use. User changeable batteries. Does avg. depth so you can get sac rate averages for your whole dive.
For $100 it's the best option out there right now and will seriously last you a long time. Only downfall is it doesn't have the nice fancy screens that don't need a backlight, but for open water diving it works just fine. Buy that, then if you get deep into tech or want a fancy screen, then buy a Petrel.

For me i went with the hollis tx1. Does everything that im going for now, but i think the petrel is a nicer unit. Untill i can swing the petrel..after im done with all those classes$$....the tx1is all i need

I agree with tbone. That Nitek looks like a sweet deal if you can get it around that price.

Other options would be the Geo 2 and Veo 3 which provide 2 gas switching for a reasonable price and can be bought for $300 on sale or if you directly email some websites.

read through the rest of the computer threads. current consensus right now

Buy a Petrel, best computer on the market, but $800
If you can't afford a petrel and want a new one, Hollis DG03 from Dive Gear Express

Best option is to buy this
Dive Rite Nitek Duo Scuba Diving Scuba Computer with Gauge Mode in DSS Boot | eBay
great little computer, only does two gas, but most of the time it is only back gas and one deco gas. Has gauge mode so you can run it as backup if you go into trimix later. Great user interface that's super easy to use. User changeable batteries. Does avg. depth so you can get sac rate averages for your whole dive.
For $100 it's the best option out there right now and will seriously last you a long time. Only downfall is it doesn't have the nice fancy screens that don't need a backlight, but for open water diving it works just fine. Buy that, then if you get deep into tech or want a fancy screen, then buy a Petrel.

I have a Nitek Duo, it has not been available, ? supported, for many years and is extremely conservative. I would go with the Oceanic Geo2, especially if you can still get it for the sale price of $300. The download cable will cost you an extra $80-90.

I really enjoyed my NiTek Duo... until it crashed. It is many years out of date and Dive Rite tells me they no longer carry any internal parts. For $100 it might be a worthy buy, but you have to assume it is disposable when it goes. And as an older electronic device, that could be sooner rather than later. I really wish DR would bring it back, but they won't.

Instead of spending $600 on the new Nitek (which is a sweet machine) I opted for an Oceanic Veo 3.0. Half the price, current parts, service and technology. But I'll never forget that sweet NiTek Duo and how she broke my heart... :daydreaming:

Last edited:
I think you can find some predators or petrels for sale by those who are upgrading. gas changes like everything else with shearwarter computers are intuitive and very simple.

Second hand Predator

I would have to disagree with that, you are better off spending the extra $100 and getting a used Petrel, the normal battery functionality alone will pay for that $100 difference, and the computer is about half the size with the same size screen which is nice.

I happen to have a slightly used Predator and almost new Petrel for sale if anyone is interested. I haven't posted them yet.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom