Computer fail question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mason2713

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So i brought my bcd and regulator with computer in for service last week, and when i went to dive my computer failed. It is an old model Aeris atoms 2 computer. Once i hit the water it began scrolling through all the different modes, almost as if a button was stuck down. Then today it is just frozen on one screen. I know they replaced the battery at the shop when they were servicing my gear. They're pretty much telling me that its not there fault and there is nothing they could have done to it. That the logic of the computer is failing. They said they can send it back to and get an estimate on repairs. Now, they have been very nice about it but they are still taking no blame. Also my compass was messed up but they have might have fixed that today. I just find it hard to believe that its just a coincidence that the computer and compass both were broken after i had it serviced there.

What do you guys think?

You have me curious. What was "messed up" about the compass?

The card is floating up and sticking to the top. Making it unreadable throughout the window nor will it move. When i brought it in today they were trying to get the card back in the right spot but i don't know if they fixed it yet or not. Also i know i had trouble getting the computer out of the console to change the battery, it was stuck in there pretty good. Its almost as if they were smacking it around to get it out. I am very curious as well, but i don't want to make accusations.

when they say "the logic of the computer is failing", that tells me they don't know what they are talking about, and what's worse, they are making stuff up.

You should have them send it back to the manufacturer for an estimate on repairs, and when the manufacturer comes back and says that something was shorted out during the battery replacement, your shop can buy you a new computer.

So, you brought them a working computer (and compass) and they returned a non-working computer!!!

At this point, I suggest you bypass the LDS and deal directly with the manufacturer. One nice thing about user replaceable batteries is there is little doubt about who screwed it up.

Back
Top Bottom