Computer decision help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDHLEWIS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hiya all,

So am in the market for a new dive computer, have been banging my head against a brick wall trying to decide and figured Id see what everyone's thoughts are on the following.
Aqualung I770r - AI compatible, colour screen, compass, large and easy to read, looks great, can do some basic gas switching it seems, rechargeable battery, uploads dives easily
Mares Quad Air (with sensor) - Large screen, easy to read, comes with the AI for a decent price, no compass but I can live with that, seems it can handle very early techy stuff such as gas switching, CHEAP, user replaceable battery, I'm used to Mares algorithms, not the prettiest thing in the world, less faffy tech usally means longevity and the ability to take a beating
SUUNTO D5 - AI compatible, colour screen, compass, smaller but seems like a crisp screen, looks great, can do some basic gas switching it seems, smaller and easier to transport and wear, uses the newer less conservative algo

Im a AOW diver at present but do have thoughts on going in to the techhy stuff, but that's like a 5-7 year goal so will get a new computer by then specific to the task then. But in the mean time I am looking for something that will take me to that next step comfortably with breathing room in to very early techy stuff. AI is something I want (SPG redundancy in place), compass is something that is nice to have but not a must as have a decent enough compass already, colour screens I would like so Im not always relying on back lights etc...

Has anyone had experience with the above three computer setups? or have a missed another setup during my search, due to tax deductible reasons Ill be ordering from Lucas Dive store in the Netherlands and shipping to the Middle East, again if anyone else know a web site that does international shipping and removing of the tax at the same time am all ears.

Hiya all,

So am in the market for a new dive computer, have been banging my head against a brick wall trying to decide and figured Id see what everyone's thoughts are on the following.
Aqualung I770r - AI compatible, colour screen, compass, large and easy to read, looks great, can do some basic gas switching it seems, rechargeable battery, uploads dives easily
Mares Quad Air (with sensor) - Large screen, easy to read, comes with the AI for a decent price, no compass but I can live with that, seems it can handle very early techy stuff such as gas switching, CHEAP, user replaceable battery, I'm used to Mares algorithms, not the prettiest thing in the world, less faffy tech usally means longevity and the ability to take a beating
SUUNTO D5 - AI compatible, colour screen, compass, smaller but seems like a crisp screen, looks great, can do some basic gas switching it seems, smaller and easier to transport and wear, uses the newer less conservative algo

Im a AOW diver at present but do have thoughts on going in to the techhy stuff, but that's like a 5-7 year goal so will get a new computer by then specific to the task then. But in the mean time I am looking for something that will take me to that next step comfortably with breathing room in to very early techy stuff. AI is something I want (SPG redundancy in place), compass is something that is nice to have but not a must as have a decent enough compass already, colour screens I would like so Im not always relying on back lights etc...

Has anyone had experience with the above three computer setups? or have a missed another setup during my search, due to tax deductible reasons Ill be ordering from Lucas Dive store in the Netherlands and shipping to the Middle East, again if anyone else know a web site that does international shipping and removing of the tax at the same time am all ears.

How's this new thread different from your previous thread?

How's this new thread different from your previous thread?

different thread more eyes and hopefully more responses

Aqua Lung runs PZ+, Mares runs Mares RGBM, the D5 runs Suunto Fused RGBM 2.

If I were you, I would go with a computer running Buhlmann ZH-L16B or C with gradient factors. You have already had Ratio recommended to you. Ratio prices are currently very good in Europe. You know about Shearwater. These would be more useful to you in the future. Why buy a 2nd expensive computer?

If you plan to get another one later on for tech, I would go with the cheapest.

A puck pro will do all you will ever need, including nitrox and one gas switching.

I have yet to see a compelling reason to spend $1000+ on a computer that isn't a Shearwater.

I have yet to see a compelling reason to spend $1000+ on a computer that isn't a Shearwater.
I came here to say the same exact thing: if you're gonna spend a thousand dollars on a computer, get a Shearwater. For that matter, if you're gonna spend $500 on a computer, get a Shearwater Peregrine. $350 will get you a Deep6 Excursion, which I have not personally tried, but people who have seem to love them.

For me Anything really expensive better come with a compass... been using my first ever shearwater, and I love the little compass icon that's always showing me north.

Back
Top Bottom