Computer decision - buy or don't buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A Computer at your current state of diving is a nice have, not a necessity. The one you have has a couple of good features: it works and it’s paid for.

You can easily finish the season with what you have. I would wait on investing in better. A thousand dollars will get you a really nice computer, but it would also cover AOW or a few dive charters. Gear can end up a bottomless pit into which you cast your dollars. A year from now you will know a lot better what you want to spend your money on and what you need to spend money on. Also, you may stumble onto a Craig’s List deal of the century.

Having all your own gear is one thing, having it set up the way you want it is a horse of another color. You can spend a good bit of money to make that happen, once you know what you want.

I can answer this for the Cressi Giotto and Leonardo, and likely Cressi's other dive computers. You can reset the dive computer for when renting to a new customer, i.e. removing nitrogen load from previous customers, but you can not remove the dive history.

Anyone ever tried pulling the battery out for a long time? I'm pretty sure they don't have non-volatile storage so the best they can have is a supercapacitor, for some value of "super". Those can have self-discharge times of weeks but in a Leonardo-level device I wouldn't put in one that lasts more than a few hours.

They can't erase or "zero out" the divelog or dive history of the computer however. No computer in the market does that as far as I know.
You can do that on some Suuntos. You need a small desktop PC program, though.

I know from experience that it works on the Cobra (I wiped the memory on mine when I bought it), but not on the Zoop (tried the same with my son's computer and failed).

You can do that on some Suuntos. You need a small desktop PC program, though.

I know from experience that it works on the Cobra (I wiped the memory on mine when I bought it), but not on the Zoop (tried the same with my son's computer and failed).

Can you send me these programs or their web links please?

Shearwater allows "delete all dives"

As in delete/purge/wipeout all logbook and history and it comes out clean as new without any reference to previous dives done with the computer?

As in delete/purge/wipeout all logbook and history and it comes out clean as new without any reference to previous dives done with the computer?
I've deleted a single dive, I would expect when it says "all" it means "all". I'm not doing it to mine.
Don't know if it wipes the total dive time.

Can you send me these programs or their web links please?
Program is called Suunto Eraser, made by James Connell. I don't have any links for you ATM, but Google ought to help.

Moving backwards . I have a Galileo Luna 5yo works great love all the info I get when downloaded. Problem: one month ago the infrared reader stopped connecting to computer. I initially installed program from Scubapro site, have no program disc. Had my computer Tech Support work on it for days, deleting windows upgrades etc etc., no success. Anyone else have this problem. Hoping someone has the solution

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom