Computer decision - buy or don't buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Erik! Went with Kalipso and have definitely picked Tim's brain on the subject. He is running the Luna which is what turned me onto it. He was my dive instructor for my OW dives. Awesome, awesome group of people!! He's also the reason for this damn uncertainty lol. His recommendation was the Sport Matrix to start with. Unfortunately, trips probably will be VERY minimal if at all. Not sure my wife would go for that. (actually damn sure) Most of my diving will be with the local shops around here or with a few buddies who dive as well. One of my buddies uses tables, so don't really need to match him too much lol.

He is running the Luna which is what turned me onto it.
Hey! I'll sell you my Luna's + xmtrs for a great price! PM me. A solid computer with great features that I only upgraded after looking for a computer whose characteristics I could control completely.
But I dove the Luna for years with Microbubble level 3, and was very satisfied.

Hey! I'll sell you my Luna's + xmtrs for a great price! PM me. A solid computer with great features that I only upgraded after looking for a computer whose characteristics I could control completely.
But I dove the Luna for years with Microbubble level 3, and was very satisfied.

Sent ya a PM. I think I did it right. Let me know if you didn't get it

Why should you learn about decompression algorithms if you're only going to dive 20-30' recreationally?
Because the algorithm you choose also determines your NDL.

You know perfectly well that NDL for 20-30' is between "forever" and "hours" and you'll need a lot of big cylinders on that dive for the algorithm to make any appreciable difference.

You know perfectly well that NDL for 20-30' is between "forever" and "hours" and you'll need a lot of big cylinders on that dive for the algorithm to make any appreciable difference.
True enough. If you're REALLY only going to dive 20-30', you REALLY don't need a computer. You're tank limited. 'Nuff said.

True enough. If you're REALLY only going to dive 20-30', you REALLY don't need a computer. You're tank limited. 'Nuff said.

I don't know... if I were diving local lakes, I would REALLY be diving 20-30'.

My vote is yes, it's always good to have gear with which you are familiar and comfortable - especially life support gear.

Do most computers allow you to reset the dive data as a new user? For instance, if I get a used Luna..I know it records longest dive, deepest dive etc....will I be able to reset all that from the previous owner?

I can answer this for the Cressi Giotto and Leonardo, and likely Cressi's other dive computers. You can reset the dive computer for when renting to a new customer, i.e. removing nitrogen load from previous customers, but you can not remove the dive history. This is good and bad. It's good in that you'll always know the usage history of the dive computer. It's bad if you want to reset it to dive 1 as the new owner. With a dive log app like Subsurface, it doesn't really matter, as you can renumber within the app. I got my dive computers later on, so they don't start at dive 1.

Do most computers allow you to reset the dive data as a new user? For instance, if I get a used Luna..I know it records longest dive, deepest dive etc....will I be able to reset all that from the previous owner?

For they dive computers that allow computer "reset," they will only reset/zero out the residual nitrogen levels from previous repetitive dives with residual nitrogen still offgasing. They add this feature to the computer to allow dive centers to rent computers to new customers quickly without having to wait for the dive computer to offgas and worry about previous customer's nitrogen loading effecting the new customer's NDL's. They can't erase or "zero out" the divelog or dive history of the computer however. No computer in the market does that as far as I know.

Back
Top Bottom