Computer choice for Euro divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad you found a computer that you like @drakcheslav, in the end that is all that matters.
That screen looks really good!

It's super awesome. And being a Open Sourde developer, I'm even more stoked that this is an open source dive computer.

Ao I can give additional support to the manufacturer.

Also, I like their approach of only thigns you need to fix is the buttons. Everything else is going to be fixed over the air.

Which is super cool for support.

Another quick update.
Tried the computer today on the back of my right hand, and this is the perfect way to carry it for me. I've used it as my primary compass And it works perfectly.

Quick to update, and eqsy to read and precise. The tilt works great.

The visibility in really poor vis with huge thermocline is great. And its easy to read the bearing of the lines on our dive site by placing my hand over the line and with the tilt you get the bearing almost instantly.

Here is me with a huge grin after today's super chill dive.
IMG-4a6876e8f3c3266996c2b96f77cec715-V.jpg

Great to learn you've found the right computer for you. :) You're lucky to dive, no time for that yet, and when I had, weather conditions were louzy... Grrrrrrrrr ! :mad:

Great to learn you've found the right computer for you. :) You're lucky to dive, no time for that yet, and when I had, weather conditions were louzy... Grrrrrrrrr ! :mad:
Next weekend is my deep diver course.

Can't wait to test it out on some deep dives.

And on some night dives.

Just wanted ro rub it in.

JK, hope you start divig again. I can't wait for the borders to open and to dive in some salty water.

Out of interest in what dive context? If CCR I would probably agree (I don't dive CCR nor ever will) I do know friend who dive OC trimix on Eon and are more than happy.

Let me start by saying I did not buy the Eon Steel/AI pod, but was given it by another dive pro/dealer. At the time I chose to dive with it I was using a Suunto D6i, so the Eon seemed like a good alternative. I liked the large graphical display and I was certain I would get on with it. Part of my reason for looking for a new computer, was that I was having difficulty seeing the smaller numbers (time) on the D6, and thought the Eon, with its customisable screen layout, would be the one.

Lets address my least technical issue with it first. When you customise the screen, one of the key bits of data I need when managing dives is the actual time. I know we have a schedule to keep and other people are relying on me being on time. On the Eon, with its huge screen real estate, the time is an afterthought and displayed smaller than on the D6. I therefore had to wear another device to be able to see the time (yes I could have got a mask insert - but I didn't want to)

I'm principally a rec instructor, dive XR (as opposed to full tec) and CCR. On my CCR's we either have the Vision2020 electronics or the Shearwater Petrel. The Suunto model was always consistently different NDL results when diving in fixed setpoints.

For Rec and XR diving, regardless of what conservative settings I used, it would have a hizzy fit if I didn't do a 3 minute safety stop and beep (eee-ooow) endlessly. This would be annoying when all i've done is drop down 6m to pick up the mooring line. On deeper dives, it would mandate that I do a 12m stage stop regardless of the dive plan. If the stage stop was not adhered to, the computer would then lock me out for 24 hours. The final kicker for me would be that it would lock you out for 48 hours if you dived with a low battery. Now I am sure there would be things I could do to drill into the system and amend those (except the time on the display), but as a default to be this restrictive, different and annoying... I lost patience with it.

Several times when I had it, perhaps if I had been doing skills work at 6-8m, the computer would insist I did a 3m safety stop at 5m. I would choose not to (I'm a grown up, I can make that choice). My students and I would come out of the water and the Eon would start to beep at me. We'd de-kit. Still beeping. I'd get some refreshments for the student, beeping. I'd usher the students to the front of the boat, still beeping. The only way to stop the beeping (and not get locked out for 24 hours) was to get back in the water for 3 minutes - so I would tie the Eon to the pick up line and toss it back in the water at about 5m. The dive pro's leading the fun divers would return to the boat and see my eon floating below and retrieve it...

If I could have done something about the display, so I could see the time, perhaps I would have invested more time in tweaking the annoyance out of it.... but out of the box it just didn't work for me. I switched to the Freedom as it would work wired into another CCR, but I ended up changing back to a watch style (Garmin Descent) for daily use, which actually has a display I can read more easily than the Eon.

should probably have a function for how many packs of cigarettes you smoke, depending on your country.

@Gary_Ward

Interesting and valid points. I do know where you're coming from regarding the timy info in some places, actual time hasn't been an issue for me ever, but we all have different requirements

Obvs I can't comment on CCR

Some of the other stuff is interesting. It's my understanding, that the oly lock out it'll give is if you bust a deco ceiling by 3 minutes. And regarding charging, again my understanding was that below a certain amount (2hrs?)it wouldn't enter dive mode - so not applicable to Rec, but yes to Tech & CCR. I don't tend to let ours drop below 15hrs, only for the reason that it there's a charging issue I want to know in good time, so I can figure something out. Personal thing

Regarding hissy fits, yup I'm with you. I've complained to Suunto about this, occasionally I've binned the SS because it's too dangerous to stay below, of post stop (hooked onto to a wall) the current has spat us out from the last 3 or 4m. Not ideal obvs but if I'm climbing out of the water without the stop, there's a good reason./ Give me a mute button. The comp wont' lock you out though just bleep annoyingly for 5 mins. Occasionally I've attached it to my spool and dropped it back down to 5m to silence it as you have.

Another pet peeve is teh water sensor, I wish they'd allow me to manually sleep the the screen when on the surface or have a time out. In humid conditions the computer can stay on - overnight even.

My beef list of minor points is extensive. That said my Shearwater I despised from day 1 with it's silly menus and UI. The fact that in Rec screen you need to delve deep into ADV settings to adjust its MOD limiter (where it artificially limits MOD to 40m). I dislike teh screen and its reflections in bright conditions and the lack of customisation of the screen (s) I've moved on from hating it, across to just tolerating it. Since I boat dive (we go away for long weekends) I'm not a fan of the battery changing thing, because I know had I not got a spare battery cap, mine would roll overboard

I'll be interested to see what the Buhlmann implementation on the Steel looks like (not available on the core) to see if that changes things up a bit.

When I defend bits of equipment, I have to do so with broad strokes, since someones likes will be another person's hates and we all dive in different conditions. I don't think there is a perfect computer, it often comes down to which one has the least annoying traits

should probably have a function for how many packs of cigarettes you smoke, depending on your country.

Add the coefficient to the SAC calculation. :D

And it was only two packs, a year ago if you want to know. And now is none.

Real Men Roll Our Own. Mmm, Van Nelle halfzware... I don't miss it at all.

@Gary_Ward
When I defend bits of equipment, I have to do so with broad strokes, since someones likes will be another person's hates and we all dive in different conditions. I don't think there is a perfect computer, it often comes down to which one has the least annoying traits

I agree with you on this point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom