Computer choice for Euro divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to believe/hope that gas switches are actually recorded, but libdivecomputer (the library that is responsible to "translate" the data output from the computer to subsurface) is not recognizing them properly hence ignores them.
To be fair, in the early days of Eon, Mac Dive had the same issue. I was able to email teh developer who told me how to download my comuter logs in a format he could use - and he was able so sort teh Mac dive code. The computer had recorded the switches

It took a few more minor tweaks to get Mac Dive to fully get it, but it didi

It just might be a sub surface issue

could you explain a bit more about the divesoft ?

The screen layouts and menu navigation feel better designed to me than on the shearwater. I use mine primarily for CCR but even when diving them OC the screens present more information, without having to page through multiple times. In addition I like the option of buying a second one with the bottom timer software, and keeping it at a lower software version as a backup to be unlocked if your primary computer fails during a trip. That being said, I used a shearwater for years and if I already had one I'd not bother incurring the cost of switching to a different computer.

To be fair, in the early days of Eon, Mac Dive had the same issue. I was able to email teh developer who told me how to download my comuter logs in a format he could use - and he was able so sort teh Mac dive code. The computer had recorded the switches
It took a few more minor tweaks to get Mac Dive to fully get it, but it didi
It just might be a sub surface issue

Just fount this:
Google Groups
Both problems (lack of gas info and gas switches) were reported back in August 2018. Apparently nothing has been done as yet...

So the DC arrived.
I'm really digging it.
Had some issues with the buttons sticking out of the box, but disassembled and assembled them again and they work perfectly.

It's super legible, and compact. And really easy to use.

IMG_20200619_232301.jpg

I wholeheartedly recommend this computer for any advanced non trimix divers whit the ability to upgrade to trimix in the future

FWIW. The Shearwater Perdix will get a lot of votes, but sales service out of the EU will be more challenging. I have personally owned the Divesoft Freedom (CCR version, but the same unit, just different software) and the Suunto Eon (steel as opposed to core, but they operate the same). I hated the Eon and got rid of it after 6 months. I could not use a dive computer which would sulk and lock me out all the time, and the RGBM2 model it uses.... simply no! I switched from that to the Freedom. Its bulky, but such a good computer. Clear as hell, robust and with good service out of the Czech Republic. A very close alternative to the Perdix, but with a rechargeable battery. One of the features I like about the divesoft is that in the unit is all the software you need, and for a small fee you can upgrade it from Nitrox to tech to trimix, and its really quick - so it can grow with you if you want it to.

Right now though Shearwater Petrel 2 is my go to

OSTC is in the same vein.
Just at a lower price.

This one is ok par with the divesoft advanced nitrox and it's 200€ cheaper.

Granted, this is w/o a rechargable battery, but it lasts 100 hours on a single AA battery.

5 nitrox gases, and upgreadable to trimix/fixed CCR

and the Suunto Eon (steel as opposed to core). I hated the Eon and got rid of it after 6 months. I could not use a dive computer which would sulk and lock me out all the time, and the RGBM2 model it uses.... simply no!

Out of interest in what dive context? If CCR I would probably agree (I don't dive CCR nor ever will) I do know friend who dive OC trimix on Eon and are more than happy

I have a differing opinion, I love my Eon Steel, I also dive a Perdix which I'm really ambivalent about, and for limited Deco with dives in the 60-70min range I don't have a problem with RGBM vs ZHL16C. My preference on balance between the two is still the Eon, accepting that neither computers are without their downsides - which may of may not be important to people depending on their diving

I'm a big OSTC fan, but access to them here requires personal import - and RTB in Europe (requiring International shipping) for servicing which makes them a non starter

I've only bent 1 computer, that was a Zoop, in fairness it was a rental computer which a guest had dropped off the boat, and that had sat at 30m for 3 days. It understandably sulked on its way to the surface.

The special thing about the OSTC plus is the housing: it has a large 2.4" display inside a very small milled aluminum housing. Display size is the same like divesoft freedom (2.4") and larger than Shearwater Perdix (2.2"), but the OSTC plus' housing is more compact. Its display is bonded to the front glass, so there's no gap making it easy to read from an angle.

The special thing about the OSTC plus is the housing: it has a large 2.4" display inside a very small milled aluminum housing. Display size is the same like divesoft freedom (2.4") and larger than Shearwater Perdix (2.2"), but the OSTC plus' housing is more compact. Its display is bonded to the front glass, so there's no gap making it easy to read from an angle.

And OSTC4 has even bigger screen. I thing it's 3.2in. And supports IR connect for CCR, for the same price as Perdix.
Ina case of 87mm x 86mm x 23mm.

Granted, OSTC are more or less a slab of metal on your arm and much less ergonomic (exception is the 2TR) than perdix, but more than good enough for prolonged wear.

I'm still experimenting with the position. I might try wearing it on my hand as opposed on my forearm.

Just did a quick dive with it today. Really easy to use, no manual needed, and so intuitive, there is no way that you can overshoot any of the items in the menus since you can see all of the items listed.

The compass is pretty precise and correct. I constantly had the same bearing as my analog compass, and it's easier to use. To that point that I might use it as primary and my analog compass as backup. Thr BT download over phone works great, but it's a bit wonky on my PC, due to the use if a BT dongle. I'll try it on my laptop a bit later to update.

Yhe stopwatch and avg depth is a great tool for navigation

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom