Compressors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cherry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I live in a fairly small town in the Canadian Rockies and the nearest LDS is 2 hrs away. I do have buddies which can refill my tanks for me but I sometimes feel like I am imposing. I have an irrigation business that does retail and was considering adding a compressor to the store. I get air and can deduct it as a business expense. I am sure their are LDS ops on the board so can I get some feed back?

What is the risk?
Can it pay back assuming enough business?
What do you charge?
what equipement do you recommend?

I am looking at a smaller unit I dont expect huge volume and I have coffee while folks wait. ( hell they might even buy something ) would like the unit portable so I can take it with me to the coast on our dive trips to Vancouver Island.

Thanks

Bob3 once bubbled...
Guess it cooks down to, how much ya want to spend?

The relatively decent performing portables (6 - 8 cfm) can vary widely in price, between $6k to $12k.
For "at shop use" I'd recommend a cascade bank in case someone brings in 3 or more tanks.

with chunky ongoing costs as well...........

I dont expect to see a huge amount of business more a paying personal deal I would hope. Used is an option I would expect. Price is important to me I want to spend as little as possible and as much as is nessasary. 6k would be in the ball park.

Is that US or Canadian? You can buy a lot of compressor for that money. If you want a new, portable compressor I recommend the Bauer Oceanus. This 4 cfm unit is available with gas or electric and can be ordered fully automatic from Compressed Air Specialties, Anaheim, CA (duties?). Then, purchase a couple of 4500 psi storage bottles, arrange in series and fill time will be substantially reduced. Bear in mind that Scuba tanks will heat up and it may still take substantial time for a good fill unless you have a water tub, easy to arrange.

You need to think this through. A portable electric unit will need 220 volt/single phase power, need to be equipped with magnetic start switch, and the plug will have to be compatible for travel purposes. Think Marina, dockside power plug adapter. A gasoline engine compressor is best for a portable but is iffy for stationary (shop) use. I'm not sure if the Oceanus power can be changed out. The 3.5 cfm Junior model can be rapidly interchanged between gas and electric but is not rated at 4500 psi continuous. Still, a good compressor for personal use.

I would stay away from the Coltri. It's OK for intermittant use. The Oceanus will jam tanks all day if needs must. The Junior is very durable, just not the best shop compressor.

Pesky

There are other costs to consider as well. Filters are not cheap. You might want to check with your Ministry of Labour as to their requirements. I say this only as you mentioned you were going to use it as a business deduction. If they say that breathing air must meet CSA Z-180.1--00 then you are required to use an accredited lab for your testing. There are only four in Canada (one of them is in Burnaby, BC). Jordair is the only "official" distributer of Bauer compressors in Canada. You will find that the electric ones "sneaked" in from our friends down south do not meet the CSA electrical standards. Most LDS do not know this nor is it an issue to them unless something happens. Consider how many dives you are doing and how far the dive shops are from your dive sites (not your residence) before considering the costs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom