Compressor Technician Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

axxel57

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, everybody.
I have a question concerning compressor technician training.
Is there something equivalent for compressor repair to the ” Regulator Savvy “ or Vance Harlows “SCUBA Regulator Maintenance and Repair”?
Or can somebody recommend a training facility where one can do an intensive course, without having to travel three or four times to the US or somewhere else to finally doing a course which really makes him a technician who can offer his services to clients here on the island.
I’m running a Scuba Repair shop for some years here and have worked on compressors ( small things like valve changes, filling valve repairs, maintenance etc), but did this only if customers asked me explicit for help, because I cannot guarantee the quality of my work as I can do for example with regulator rebuilds.
I got my professional workbench and Flow Module and thereby control my work on regulators with those tests.
I’m thinking about to expand my services to compressor repairs and overhaul, because here in the area nobody offers professional compressor service.
Almost all of the compressors here around are small BAUER or Coltri Sub compressors, but far as I can see, it doesn’t matter a lot on which brand I would get the training, or am I wrong?
Any ideas………..?

I have been to these "training" classes offered by manufacturers. My realiztion, if you don't know what you're doing before attending, you won't come away with any real expertise. Basically, IMO, like regulator clinics, these classes are to familiarize you with the "tricks" associated with that particular brand. When you have a group of folks disassembling and reassembling a part of a block there isn't much hands on time.

I used to travel to Punta Cana for service. I knew a fellow that went to Munich to train. Don't know if he is still around, since the last time I was there was in the mid '90's. He worked for Riu Hotels and his name is Martin Costa. He was actually born and raised in Germany, I believe.

Craig

Yeah, that's what I thought. Me too I attended a basic course of BAUER in Munich in 2002 and was very disappointed. Learned near to nothing, was like going through a Compressor Manual with a teacher.
Martin left almost ten years ago for Mexico, don't know where he is now.
Strange that nobody indepentendly is offering compressor repair training, I don't need certificates, just the knowledge.
I guess I have to start to overhaul my own BAUER Compressor with the BAUER Repair Manual, but that will cost me just much more time to get a profound base.

A compressor is just a 2 cycle engine without a carburetor, it has valves, pistons, connecting rods and a crankshaft. The same principal of overhaul used on an engine would apply to rebuilding a compressor. It amounts to knowing what the limits of wear are on the parts, measuring the parts to determine if they need replacement and fitting new parts to the proper clearances.
Taking an engine overhaul course at a votech school would give you the mechanical knowledge needed.

have a look at scubaengineer.com advanced compressor courses in thailand... bit of a trek for you though. Also get your hands on the workshop manuals and have a good read through... google!!!

Hey fellows, thanks for the infos.
Was hoping somebody closer than in Thailand would offer qualified courses, but I keep on investigating.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom