Compressor setup advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim figure out what size you need ( go bigger) then figure out who has what in that size then google for feed back on the units you are checking on then finally find out how much your consumables are going to cost you. You may want to spend more upfront and have a reduction in the price of consumables.

I personally did not want to buy used becasue the cost of getting me the compressor here was the same for used or new and with New I know I did not need to worry about sending it out for repair. On the second one that I bought I rolled the dice a bit but I knew the folks that sold it to me and when I called the factory they told me I was buying a awesome deal when you factor in the few number of hours on it.

While I've still got quite a few dive shops around, they are a bit of a drive and I too have been thinking about a compressor.

Not to hijack the thread, but my questions center around where to buy a compressor, either new or used. Where can I find a trusted source to buy a used one? I've Googled it and pretty much come up with a few sources for new compressors but nothing much for used ones. Lots on eBay but I don't know that I'd trust my life on something from eBay.

I've also been reading up on the various brands, RIX, Bauer, Max-Air, Coltri.... There's also an outfit close to me in Arlington, TX that sells AireTex. I have no idea about that compressor and really can't find much about it, like I can the others. It sure would be close to me though. Anyone know anything about AireTex?

Jim

---------- Post added June 17th, 2015 at 02:30 PM ----------

The only thing to check is will that smaller compressor hold up to the continuous run time that a bank fill will require. The max Air 30 that I have is only good for about 2 1/2 hours of run time before it needs to shut down and rest which is what got me as I would be filling 8 or so 130 hp tanks all at once which is similar to filling a large bank

frogman62 on this board is an excellent resource when it comes to compressors.

Reactions: BRT
The only thing to check is will that smaller compressor hold up to the continuous run time that a bank fill will require. The max Air 30 that I have is only good for about 2 1/2 hours of run time before it needs to shut down and rest which is what got me as I would be filling 8 or so 130 hp tanks all at once which is similar to filling a large bank

Time clock.....

Tobin

I added a small one to my old boat. Then I added one to my garage including nitrox stick, trimix stick, booster, bank, etc. Now I have a hydraulic one on the big boat. I love it. So much more convenient. Not real complicated.

I found a deal on a complete setup for the large home system that I have and it was a great purchase.

Once you have it and set it up you will wonder how you did without it.

I bought a used Rix SA-6 from a charter guy on the east coast who had a side business in compressors, and have been very pleased with performance and low maintenance requirements. I can fill my LP120 in 20 minutes or so. A big run might be 400 cu ft at a time, which has been well within the duty cycle so far as my experience, even pumping HP tanks. I don't do a high volume, so I didn't consider the additional expense and maintenance of banking.

The convenience of having a small and simple compressor is an enormous benefit IMO. I also believe it to be considerably cheaper than paying for fills, but I don't keep meticulous records. Even if it cost twice as much, I'd have the compressor.

I had to add a moisture filter after finding water in the tanks, and since mine is gas powered, I spent the first several fills checking the air with a CO meter. Never found any. A common moisture cartridge also contains some CO scavenger and charcoal, for additional purification.

If I 'upgrade' capability at all, it will be to better monitor the moisture filtration system, and possibly the health of the various stages. I've got a color-indicating moisture sensor in-line, but I don't believe it is sensitive or responsive enough to really be useful. Something electronic would be better. An simpler alternative would be to see if weighing the cartridge can provide useful information about remaining service life, and about regenerating the moisture absorbant.

I later obtained a smaller RIX, the SA-3 with electric motor, with the idea of installing it on a sailboat. It only takes 11A or so with single phase 220V, so well within common household service parameters. It had some 1st stage damage, and needed rebuilding, which was surprisingly simple to take care of. It's quite a bit lighter than the SA-6, truly portable. I have both compressors set up on casters for deployment, but if it were practical here, I'd make a more permanent installation.

There's a compressor guy up in Port Orchard who's on SB, rcontreras may be his handle. There's also a helpful British RIX pro who used to be on here a bit and was a good source of info. There are quite a number of members with home compressor experience.

Back
Top Bottom