Compressor questions, splash vs oil pump lubrication, RPM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thin_air

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I'm looking at getting a compressor (new) and have it narrowed down to the Junior 2 and Oceanus.

The high RPM of the smaller compressors seems concerning to me, and slowing down the Oceanus can get a similar cfm than the J2.
I dive trimix, and would like to be able to send nitrox (<40%) and trimix through the compressor, so my initial thought was that an oil pump would provide greater lubrication compared to a splash lubricated compressor, with this being important given the higher temps with Helium.
While there is no bank to speak of, I can see filling a few sets of doubles at a time.

Wondering if anyone has any input? Would the J2 suffice, or is the Oceanus speed controlled via a VFD, a better option. Is the added cost of the Oceanus worth it for the oil pump and ability to run a slower RPM and still get my target flow rates (4-5cfm).

If anyone has other compressor/equipment options, i'm all ears.

Thanks in advance,
t_a

you might want to reevaluate useing 40% threw an non-nitrox compressor , i was a believer in running 40 threw an average compressor till i talked to the guys at jordair ( i thought at first)..... ,it was an upsell then .....i now believe different...........ask ian/hasim.....his opinion . i wont do it with my rebuilt compressor .....................jm2c

@thin_air both compressors run the same rpm of around 2100. You can slow either of them down to about 1500rpm but I wouldn't go any slower than that.

Hi tbone1004, perhaps i was unclear in my post, I was looking at slowing down an Oceanus to the 1500rpm is range to get similar air delivery as the J2, with a slower rotation and the benefits of an oil pump.

I wouldn't slow down a J2 as filling times would get much longer.

you might want to reevaluate useing 40% threw an non-nitrox compressor , i was a believer in running 40 threw an average compressor till i talked to the guys at jordair ( i thought at first)..... ,it was an upsell then .....i now believe different...........ask ian/hasim.....his opinion . i wont do it with my rebuilt compressor .....................jm2c

I'm curious to see what their source of concern is, Bauer makes nitrox compressors, the smallest being the Mariner 320. Aside from the oil used (possibly) and the cleaning of all components prior to shipping, i've been unable to find much in terms differences between their regular line and their nitrox compressors. I recognize that the oil changes would need to be much more frequent (and with an appropriate oil) than stated in the manual.
Also wondering what the highest FiO2 you would suggest running through a compressor?

What would be a reasonable alternative Nitrox compressor? my knowledge of breathing air compressors is limited outside of Bauer (and mostly mini-kat 5s at that). I've looked through many older threads here, but there doesn't seem to be any consensus.

the head compressor rebuild guy told me he sees alot of blown up compressors that have used the stick type system to blend .........there's a special blender compressor for blending .......i know alot of people are going to pipe up , i been doing it for years etc , dont bust my alls about it CALL JORDAIR and ask them to explain it

the head compressor rebuild guy told me he sees alot of blown up compressors that have used the stick type system to blend .........there's a special blender compressor for blending .......i know alot of people are going to pipe up , i been doing it for years etc , dont bust my alls about it CALL JORDAIR and ask them to explain it

Hi abnfrog, I will follow up with Jordair.
The questions I ask are not meant to bust anyone's balls, but to get a better understanding.
What would be the recommended compressor for CB-ing nitrox and trimix? With good support in Canada?
The other option would be a booster, but I'm attempting to avoid that if at all possible.

i was not talking about you , i was heading off the inevitable onslaught of experts piping up ..........if handled right you can pump trimix without a booster , i do........but the booster works so much better. i found jordair in bc a great source. they rebuilt my compressor 2 years ago . and garenteed it for 3 years . i would have rebuilt it myself but because of the legal action i was launching against the preveous owner i had to be arms length . they helped me not only rebuilding the unit but updating it to modern specs . the "repair guy " in my area is a douche , he s more concerned working for the mines than a small op like mine . so depending where you are the factory might be your best bet ....they were not more expensive as a matter of fact they were cheaper than the other guy ....maybe more honest, a call to the nearest repair facility might be enlightening.

I'm curious to see what their source of concern is, Bauer makes nitrox compressors,

The concern is simple, Bauer do not make nitrox compressors they make breathing air compressors.
Best advise you will get is to Read The Lable on the compressor data plate.

Aside from the oil used (possibly) and the cleaning of all components prior to shipping, i've been unable to find much in terms differences between their regular line and their nitrox compressors. I recognize that the oil changes would need to be much more frequent (and with an appropriate oil) than stated in the manual.
Also wondering what the highest FiO2 you would suggest running through a compressor?

Over 50% you start a combustion process lower than that your start rapid oxidation or breakdown of the lubricant into some nasty off gassing compounds. The highest Fo2 would be as the design perameter. Air 21%

We should also answer this Cleaning of the compressor internal parts, its total rubbish any more than cleaning an oxygen compressor then adding a bucket full of oil.

The rest of your question about changes and differences will take a whole page to answer

What would be a reasonable alternative Nitrox compressor? my knowledge of breathing air compressors is limited outside of Bauer (and mostly mini-kat 5s at that). I've looked through many older threads here, but there doesn't seem to be any consensus.

Thats pretty easy to answer. Any breathing gas compressor that has a data plate that states the pressure the flow and the words. Designed for 40% nitrox service. Tested to 70%

All the rest are simply breathing air compressors

It really is that easy.

For Oil Pump Vs Splash Lube heck that's another page to do properly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom