compression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hand me the blonde hat...I can't find my little booklet and I have confused myself on how to get the best image on my Canon A20...

I should have the settings as Large (1600x1200) resolution and superfine compression for the best images, right? The compression choices are normal, fine and superfine. Just want to double check...

Thanks

alcina once bubbled...
Hand me the blonde hat...I can't find my little booklet and I have confused myself on how to get the best image on my Canon A20...

I should have the settings as Large (1600x1200) resolution and superfine compression for the best images, right? The compression choices are normal, fine and superfine. Just want to double check...

Thanks

Yep, that's right. The higher the compression, the more space taken up on your memory card, the fewer pics on a card. So if you know you aren't going to print the pics, you can drop the resolutuion and compression down a bit.

I think that's right!

Dee once bubbled...

Yep, that's right. The higher the compression, the more space taken up on your memory card, the fewer pics on a card. So if you know you aren't going to print the pics, you can drop the resolutuion and compression down a bit.

I think that's right!

Dee, I think you meant it backwards :) The LOWER the compression (superfine = lowest compression = highest quality), the more space the images take up on the card and the fewer of them you can fit on the card. I'd recommend that you always shoot at the highest resolution and superfine (lowest) compression to improve the quality of the images. You may not always know in advance if you will ever want to print the image or not, so it's best to be prepared. You can always reduce the size of the images later for web-posting. Granted, you won't be able to fit as many images on your flash card, but flash cards have dropped in price dramatically in the last few weeks. You should be able to find a 128mb for $30-40 fairly easily.

-Roman.

Now you see why I don't like to try to explain technical stuff! From now on, Roman, I'm leaving the explanations up to you. :rolleyes:

Dee, you did it again........ :D

ReyeR once bubbled...
Dee, you did it again........ :D

Rub it in! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom