Compressing a video?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No matter what program you are using for getting video ready for the web try MPEG stream clip. It is working for me to compress video for web posting into MPEG 4 videos.

BS on the quicktime "warnings". It's fine. And half the world owns an iPod, which usually means you already have iTunes and QuickTime installed anyway.

I've been a computer consultant for over 20 years, so I'm not exactly new at this.

I'd stay away from Windows Movie Maker unless you ONLY want people running Windows to be able to view your videos, or you are a sufficiently advanced user to know how to change the default settings to make it more compatible.

QuickTime is the most cross-platform compatible option out of the chute, followed by Divx.
If half the world owns an ipod, people around here is not part of "the world" cause there is nowhere CLOSE to half the people i run into that own an ipod..
Maybe in your area and the people you hang around every 2nd person have an ipod, but thats certainly not the case around here..

Wow?! :confused: I have a totally different view on this. I have compressed several different videos, some I shot and some I downloaded from the net that were too large to email.

Anyway, Scblade - if your Canon is like my Canon A540 or any of the other digital cams I have shot with, they come set on 320 x 240, and that can be okay, but I like to shoot in the largest and highest resolution possible, still or video, so I change to 640 x 480. That's 17 minutes on a 2 gb card, and my A540 is not rated for anything larger - but that's the way I shoot when I do.

Either way, when you download the vid to your computer and it's like 500 mb to 2 gb, simply open Windows Movie Maker (should be on all PCs, can be added to Macs I think, available as free download from Microsoft), drag and drop it in - or someone told me today to uncheck the box that says Create clips for video files (near the bottom left) and it wont split your video into liitle pieces, but I haven't tried that yet. I just drag & drop. Next drag it to the Storyboard at bottom, then save to your computer again, and even at "Best Quality for playback on my computer," you'll find that it'll compress to about 1/10th of the raw video size - and it'll tell you approximately what size is expected, altho that is often off a bit.

If that is going to be over 100 mb, cancel and try this: Start the Save process again, but check "Best fit to file size" and set that on 90 to 95 mb. Once you have it saved, play it - and you will probly be satisfied. If under 100 mb, you can send it for free at YouSendIt - Send large files - transfer delivery - FTP Replacement or load it as a Public or Private view video on MySpace or perhaps other sites.

After you accomplish that, try it again - but add a title frame, and ending frame, maybe some music - you can adjust the volume on the actual vid and on the added music separately to the music will be background. I like to change the fonts, colors, and animation of the signs and more.

Hope this gets you into a good start. PM me if I can help further...?? :crafty:

avidemux is a nice free video converter. I have become a big fan of using it to convert DV-AVI/PCM from my cameras tapes into x264/MP3 AVI files.

Well for a convertor, I use WinFF but I think his Canon will shoot in AVI, and compress well on WMM.

I use the Nero "remake DVD" function regularly for compressing DVDs.

Thanks! I had heard that you could do it in Windows Movie Maker. When I had tried it I couldnt find any options to reduce its size. I did not think it would automatically do it when it was saved. Thanks for all the advice, I will have some stuff to try when I get off work.

Thanks! I had heard that you could do it in Windows Movie Maker. When I had tried it I couldnt find any options to reduce its size. I did not think it would automatically do it when it was saved. Thanks for all the advice, I will have some stuff to try when I get off work.
Yep, surprised me. Wonder if I should read the tutorial? :silly: Or you can set it to compress to a smaller size as I explained...

Windows Movie Maker has very very very limited options for exporting content. It basically lowers bitrate instead of using standard codecs to reduce size.

Trust me on this one, first try using avidemux and re-encoding your video in x264/MP3. Even youtube is starting to convert video to x264 since its smaller than DivX/Xvid but has better detail.

There is even a bundle containing avidemux with some other useful programs:
K-Lite Video Conversion Pack

If you make an x264 video with avidemux but cannot play it try the "Standard" version of the K-lite codec pack.
Download the K-Lite Codec Pack

The codecs in the standard pack are based on Free/OSS software so there are no legal issues. (I believe the full pack has the cyberlink mpeg2 decoder in it which they may not have permission to redistribute).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom