Compressibility of open cell neoprene vs closed cell?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RedSeaDiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
Open cell neoprene wetsuits are popular in an area where I am going to be doing some diving - the water there in winter is about 12 degC / 53 degF - I don't know much about open cell neoprene but I am curious as to how it performs when compressed at a depth of 26 metres / 86 feet?

Any thoughts?

I don't think the compressibility varies much between open-cell and closed-cell neoprene. Open-cell is warmer. But, at those temps, at those depths, I'd be in a drysuit. Cheers

I don't think the compressibility varies much between open-cell and closed-cell neoprene. Open-cell is warmer. But, at those temps, at those depths, I'd be in a drysuit. Cheers
Drysuit temps for me too - but each to their own!

Interesting interview that touches on this with Sean Webb of O'three, who reckons the quality of compressed neoprene has reduced.

A bit off topic but many divers in the UK use O'three MSF neoprene drysuits over trilams

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom