Composition Ideas Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
View attachment 32046

View attachment 32047

View attachment 32048

View attachment 32049

View attachment 32050

View attachment 32051
Dennis and I are always talking about shots we want to get! And I know as soon as I get down there...poof! my mind will be blank. I am starting this thread for anyone who wants to give composition tips and for Dennis and I to collect a "notebook" of ideas. I have been printing people's advice and explanations on certain things and throwing them in my Pelican box.

Your reef shot... I love it! I would love it more with a diver near the surface. JB will be along (the only non photog) and we can tell him what we want. he is one of those rare people that always has his legs and fins just right.

The schools of fish? I want to use my new 10.5, same thing, add diver

The girl and kevin D from Sam's? I want to get some diver portraits...you with your camera, etc.

PS note to self...bring Cressi freediving fins.

Does anyone know the angle the Liberty looks good at? D, it is a very crowded wreck but I want to get up way early and I hear you can swim out to it from shore, and it is shallow (good lighting, color!) But we need to plan a day before anyone else is out there and do some freediving shots, okay? Might be an ideal place to place with the majic filter.

Hey Catherine,

I think the biggest thing you need to decide before each dive, or each boat trip is not necessarily what you will shoot, but rather what lens you will use. It would be rather disappointing to have a 105mm lens on the camera when I huge Manta swims by! :D

I provided wedding clients with a shot list that they could use to help them decide what groups they wanted to have me photograph. I also gave them a comprehensive list to fill out that included all the relatives and important people at thier event so I'd make sure I'd get those shots. A nature photographer does not have the luxury of handing a list of wildlife to anyone to ensure those shots can be done (for that go to a zoo!).

What is benificial is to learn as much about critter habits, and identification, and to have a list of critters that you can ask the DM to point out. I'd suggest a list of fish, reefs, and reef life that you can identify, and shoot. I'm sure Mike will be a huge help with this.

As for composition, that is also not something that you can nail down as it's going to be based more on what opportunities you come across. Unless one dives a site often and knows what the conditions are like at a given time of day, it's difficult to know exactly what will be the best postion to say shoot a wreck from. Vis, weather conditions, and other factors will also come into play.

The old saying goes, "A good nature photographer has the knowledge, equipment, and skills to capture a shot when luck presents the opportunity". This applies to most shooting situations, but wildlife and nature photographer is likely the most unpredictable of the photo diciplines.

l8R,

I love this idea catherine. I'm the same way. There are days when I swear nature is conspiring against me in every composition attempt when I'm sure it's probably me.

hey Nay! I am an OC girl (San Clemente)! well, Ron I do choose my lenses pretty well --basically just macro or WA because I don't have the port yet for the 10.5 But, like tomorrow, I am getting a tech diver in the engine room and we planned the whole shot today. I think keeping notes on the shots I want and looking over these pre-dive will help remind me of the goals and possibilities. When I shoot in wrecks especially, usually I have a plan to get in, get it and get on out because all our wrecks are 100 plus and I only have about 10 minutes because thats my limit before I am a little goofy.

I want to get some planned shots where I need a model swimming higher than we would normally be swimming together.

Macro, I don't plan as much...but WA I find I need to know what I am after on reef shots.

Also, I may try and get a mirror image from the air bubble tomorrow, have you seen those?

Some of the best photographers I know make the photograph before they head underwater.

Having an idea and a plan are extremely beneficial starting points to capturing those great images. Doesn't mean things can't be fluid as well, but a good plan really helps.

And never delete anything...you'll be amazed at what will go on in your brain when you look back at photos - even really bad, oof ones!

Relating to your Liberty diving, I would try and do a scouting dive first to get a lay of the wreck and an idea of where and what shots could be set up then you can set out a plan for yourself.
You seem to have a good idea of how to plan out a shoot from your posts. I'm terrible about sticking to a plan, but getting better. I just have to keep shouting to myself "I'm here to get X shot, not chase mantas, dolphins, or blue ringed octopus"
I also agree with Alcina on not deleting. I have found several fantastic shots after I got home from a trip and had a look through images a couple of days later when my head is clear, my hair is dry and I'm not in a frenzied dive and shoot mode.

Since you have a wide angle lens, have you tried getting a diver approaching the boat from beneath? That or the split shot of the fish under the water and boat on top. I beleive that requires a fisheye though.
I love the idea of going into the water with a "shot list"

(I'm in Santa Ana by the way. Have you ever been to Pizza Port in SC? I love that place. Sometimes we'll drive down there just for pizza. :) )

catherine96821:
Does anyone know the angle the Liberty looks good at? D, it is a very crowded wreck but I want to get up way early and I hear you can swim out to it from shore, and it is shallow (good lighting, color!) But we need to plan a day before anyone else is out there and do some freediving shots, okay? Might be an ideal place to place with the majic filter.

Having dove the Liberty several times I can tell you the wreck is far too large to ever fit in a single photo if you were at all entertaining that.

This site may give you a better idea of how it is positioned. It is basically horizontal with the shoreline. Morning is usually the best since the sun rises on the ocean horizon and will put the bright spot behind you if you swim out past the wreck.

Visibility was usually better in the morning. There can be current at times in specific areas around the wreck. I think you can get the best wide angle shots by swimming out past the wreck.

It is an easy shore dive and the ocean floor is about a 45 degree angle all along that shoreline. Rocky shorline so thick soled booties are required unless you want to carry flip flops with you in the water after putting your fins on.

The wreck is so diverse with marine life that all lenses are practical at all times.

It was around 7AM that a few divers saw Mola Molas at about 80 feet. It was between 8 and 9 AM that I most often saw the schools of the large Humphead Parrotfish.

I loved Tulamben diving. It is very easy and accessible diving whether by shore or jukung boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom