Complete 1st stage failure (scubapro MK5)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a bolt that holds the swivel on. It has a hole drilled down the middle to let the air through. Because there is material removed it is somewhat vulnerable to being overstressed. This bolt has to be removed during servicing to clean all the parts and replace the swivel o-ring and shim washer. The service manual specifies a torque so the retainer bolt is not over stressed. I think most shops rather than doing this with a torque wrench do it "by feel" which is an unreliable approach. And it causes a lot of failures. Since it failed so close to the servicing it is likely it was the shops fault. I would ask them if they torqued they retainer with a torque wrench, and ask to see the torque wrench. If they can not produce one they should do the repair at their cost. I would guess the retainer is only a $20 part in any case. But they should not charge you to reservice your reg if they did it wrong the first time around.

Thank you all for the wonderful help. The tech is in on wednsday, so I'll talk it over with him and get it all worked out. I'm glad it's a relatively easy fix however.

Shooter, if you should also have in possession or should later obtain a used MK20 it may also be necessary to have it examined for the correct yoke retainer. You don't want the housing to crack. Exploding regs, what will SP think of next? If it were me, I surely would not torque the new screw to 70 lb inches or whatever COOV is suggesting. Screw the manual, brass threads might not like that. Torque it to 40 and add a spot of medium strength lock tight, or not. Personally, I would use the lower number and just check it once in awhile.

Oceanic service instructions for their MkV clone advised not to routinely disturb the pivot bolt or replace the turret O-ring during annuals unless it was leaking. If replacement was necessary, they suggested sending the complete assembly back to Oceanic! They also gave very thorough instructions (96-120 inch/pounds, and one drop medium Loctite) should the tech insist on doing it himself, but I always found it odd that they would have so little trust in their techs as to want them to send the assembly to the factory, by I always found it a little odd that they would rather risk having the O-rings fail mid-service than trust their techs. But considering how catastrophic failure of this bolt is, Oceanic may have been just prudent.

Ten foot pounds! yeash. I guess the company was worried that the techs might use an air impact wrench to remove the bolt. I used an impact wrench to disassemble a Bauer compressor manifold. The Germans secured the fittings with epoxy or something. No harm, no foul, all the components were steel and came unscrewed without fuss in the face of superior air power.

Yeah, never mind the manual just like the LDS repair tech did, and listen to Pesky who has loads of Scuba Pro regulators.

I mentioned two different torque values, the torque value as 70 in lbs for inox, that is Stainless Steel Pesky Door, and 35 in lbs for brass.

pescador775:
Shooter, if you should also have in possession or should later obtain a used MK20 it may also be necessary to have it examined for the correct yoke retainer. You don't want the housing to crack. Exploding regs, what will SP think of next? If it were me, I surely would not torque the new screw to 70 lb inches or whatever COOV is suggesting. Screw the manual, brass threads might not like that. Torque it to 40 and add a spot of medium strength lock tight, or not. Personally, I would use the lower number and just check it once in awhile.

Does the new stainless steel swivel retainer (PN 10-500-104) fit a MK-5 or is there a replacement stainless steel retainer specifically made to replace the original (PN 10-105-102, or PN 105-7 as labeled in my older 1976 parts list)?

Thanks

I have a bunch of those clone MKVs and they work wondefull and never leak around the turrent. I have fully dissassembled themnumerous times and never found anything wrong with the turrent O ring either. Note--I do not use 120 inch lbs on that assembly--lol---y'all go ahead if you insist but don't come my way looking for an airshare when the turrent blows off--lol--unless you know how to suck on a SeaTurtle Air Buddy octapus or my Aqua Master.

A dial indicator 1/4 inch torque wrench works much better than a click type for this application.

Single hose regulators, (Seinfeld), I don't know how you guys live with those things.

N, non standard and non compliant

Nemrod:
Single hose regulators, (Seinfeld), I don't know how you guys live with those things.
:wink:.....very little shrinkage and one less hose for the Leonard Nimoy types to cut...

Leicamshooter:
While working on ditch and don drill today, I had a complete failure of my 1st stage scubapro MK5. There was a very loud pop/shrill behind my head. On the surface I saw that the swivel portion on my scubapro MK5 had completley snapped off. I'm going to post two pics of it, and maybe someone can tell me if this is an easy fix. I just had the reg serviced three weeks ago by my LDS. The repair guy said it looked to be in great condition. Is it worth fixing, or should I move on. What could have casued it?

Thanks!
G Medina

If you want to be sure it's fixed with the correct upgrade part to replace the brass that broke, you can send it to George Perez at Sea Divers, in Ozark Alabama. The phone number is 334-774-3483. He is well acquainted with these regs & is who services my Mk5 as well as all my other gear. His rates are reasonable & he'll take care of your reg.

Back
Top Bottom