compasses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd have to vote for the Suunto SK-7. It can be almost 30 degrees off horizontal and the disk still rotates. I don't know how indestructable they are but mine seems to be fairly sturdy.

ZenSquirrel once bubbled...
I'd have to vote for the Suunto SK-7. It can be almost 30 degrees off horizontal and the disk still rotates. I don't know how indestructable they are but mine seems to be fairly sturdy.

Yes, they're very good but very pricey.

Anybody still making electronic models?

I just use the big ball compass that I keep in the center of my dashboard. I mounted a rooster on top for sighting. It works great in the car or in 100 fsw.

I guess it depends on why you need a compass. If vis is great and you're familiar with the dive site, then you probably don't rely on a compass.

However, if you want to use the compass for UW nav, then you probably want to invest in a good compass - preferably something with a large face and a locking bezel. It's easier to see that you've deviated from your line with a large face, even if its a few degrees. The locking bezel prevents you from accidently moving the bezel. The Suunto mentioned above is a example of a good compass. Something like the small ScubaPro compass which ScubaPro puts on their Uwatec Pro console is terrible.

Personally, I can't imagine doing without a good compass. Today we were trying to recover a weight belt that an OW student had dropped in 60 ft of water.

yea i actully have the uwatec pro ultra console so i was looking at the compass for it. it really does'nt look that easy to use, the way it was set up it would be weird to navigate

I would have to highly, highly recommend the Suunto SK7.

I had a SmartCOM console w/ built in compass...it kinda sucked because you had to pull your whole console out in front of you to use the darn thing. Kind of annoying...

A friend had one of the drop-in Scubapro/Uwatec electronic compasses. What a piece of junk!! I also have an electronic compass built into my eTrex Vista, but I never use that either if I can avoid it. I carry a quality "analog" compass when I'm doing anything serious that requires compass work.

Digital compasses are great in theory, but they suffer from a view drawbacks. They are VERY sensitive to tilt - they have to remain almost perfectly level to work properly. Hard to do underwater sometimes, especially in poor viz when you really need to rely on a compass to do some navigation. Also - the update and/or refresh rate is usually not as responsive as an analog compass. A good analog compass will move the second you do - it's instantly up to date where a digital compass seems to lag a little bit. Also, a good analog compass will have an INFINITE amount of sensitivity - you can move "half a degree left". Which, granted, may not be that important, but with some digital compasses they only move in several degree increments - the movement seems "blockier", if that's any help.

I recently picked up the wrist mounted SK7 and LOVE IT!! 30 degrees of tilt!!! It's almost difficult to get the thing to lock up...easy to read face, side viewing window...yeah, it's $45 but well worth the cash. You could go cheaper and get the SK6 - it's pretty much the same compass just not as forgiving on the tilt.

For diving at night, a nice large-dial wrist strap compass is nice.

ScubaPro used to make a nice big one. Mine has lasted me several years. So I do not know what they currently offer.

Back
Top Bottom