Compasses. Are they all alike?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With the "one sided" consoles, they're flatter and you can see everything at once. This is nice when you're streamlining; you can clip the console quite close against your body. It also saves time and confusion flipping back and forth. My console is clipped off so I can read everything with no more than a slight tug and a downward glance. I'd have to unclip it with a two-sided model in order to see both sides.

The "two-side" types are much chunkier, and you'll notice a difference during "nap-of-the-earth" dives where you hug the bottom. This is assuming you have the thing clipped off in front of you, of course.

Also, the two-sided console is less favored for compass orienteering. My student divers that compare both forms overwhelmingly prefer the longer and flatter one-sided console. Easier to hold and point, or so they tell me. It's not intuitive to them however until after they actually DIVE with both types.

archman:
With the "one sided" consoles, they're flatter and you can see everything at once.
You forgot that they can be used as an additional propulsion tool - giant paddle :wink:

One thing that nobody mentioned so far - just be careful to buy the right region. I think the SUUNTO SK7 has about half a dozen. They are counter-balanced according to the dip of the lines of force in each region.
As most people pointed out you look for good readability.
Also check for the presence of the little window to be able to use it at eye-level for more precise use (pointing).
You should be able to incline it well without locking.
It should settle fast if you lock it, rotate 90degrees and then release the card.
I have found problems with the console mounted type in that I have found it is easy to move the cursor and lose the setting when it rubs against my wet-suit.
I now prefer a wrist mounted one next to my computer.
Just do a test to make sure your computer doesn't cause any deviation. Do a test on dry land, at all 4 cardinal points, with and without the computer.

I haven't taken the Navigation course yet but intend to soon. That is why I want to purchase a compass now as I prefer to use my own for the course. We did a very short compass reading introduction during Open Water, but only touched upon the basics. However, I have used a comapss quite frequently while hiking and hunting. I have been practicing "Blind Reading." On land. Out in an open field near my home, I place my jacket over my head and follow my chosen heading by counting paces and navigating back to my original point of origin in this manner. 3-point and 4-point nav in this manner usually gets me within a few feet of my original start off point.
I have been leaning a little more toward a compass that I can wrist mount as well as possible console mount. That way the compass could do double duty on land with me as well. I am going to research the Suunto SK-7. Thanks for the pointers and feedback.

SK7 bungeed to wrist. If you're worried about depth control, get a decent wrist mount computer (Vyper) and mount to other wrist. This way all criticals can still be measured, and wrist mount is extremely easy to use and read.

I have used all three of the Suunto full size compasses, the SK5, SK6 and the SK7, and found that the SK6 to be perfectly adequate for the most detailed and accurate underwater nav. The advantage it has over the SK7 is the size. I usually keep the compass in a thigh pocket or pouch.

I also have a tiny little Suunto watchstrap mounted compass that I use for cave diving. It just clips onto my computer strap and is really all I need. I couldnt find it on their website though.

bcsean:
SK7 bungeed to wrist. If you're worried about depth control, get a decent wrist mount computer (Vyper) and mount to other wrist. This way all criticals can still be measured, and wrist mount is extremely easy to use and read.

Yes. SK7 bungeed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom