Compass Teric vs Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I regularly use the compass on my Perdix AI and have never had any issues. (OK, I had one issue where its calibration got messed up and was out by 10º but after calibrating it again it was fine.)

You can display it all the time but it takes up the bottom part of the screen which means you lose your AI data. I haven't looked into other options for displaying the compass r AI data.

All I need is general direction. I have always worn an analog compass. All I really need is my Teric north pointer. I would ditch my analog compass if I didn't feel naked without it. Maybe I will be able to get rid of it someday :) Backup?

perdix AI has two compass modes

compact version on main screen - which works VERY WELL
or expanded version if you scroll to the next menu item during the dive

no issues

works great

not sure what sensitive means
its a compass - if you move out of the range, then you should be grateful your dive computer reflects this :)

I've had them both. I much prefer the Teric compass.

I like that I can set it to display around the edge without losing any of my other data.

I like that, set that way, I can always tell where North and my Mark are at a glance. With the Perdix compass, if you aren't facing roughly towards North or your Mark, you can't see them until you turn the compass enough for them to come into view. With the Teric, if my Mark is back behind me and to my left, I can tell that instantly, at any time. Not with a Perdix.

Obviously a very subjective answer, but I find the Teric easier to comprehend at a glance. Not sure if that is different display type, brightness, layout, use of color differently, but that's my opinion.

But you are used to flight gauges :wink:

Joking aside, I wonder if those that are used to reading alot of round gauges find the Teric more intuitive?

To answer the OP (not sure if the question has been answered or not) ... no, the Perdix AI does not support the floating compass on the main screen. At least not that I've been able to find. I believe it is unique to the Teric.

There are several compass display options in Teric. I like to use the no button touch one that shows everything I need to know in a glance. The green dot that roams around the rim of the display shows the home direction, while the red arrow shows the north.

View attachment 663265
Can you explain "the green dot shows home", how does it know what direction you need to go to go home?

Can you explain "the green dot shows home", how does it know what direction you need to go to go home?
The green dot is a manually-set heading "bug". Bring up the compass overlay screen with a button press, rotate to the desired heading and press the button again to set the mark, then close the compass overlay.

If you set it to the outbound direction, you can either keep the bug at the bottom or reset it on the reciprocal course for the return.

Alternatively, while in visual range. Set the bug while pointing "home" and it is there for the return. (Assuming you continue in the same away course.l

Of course this is all subject to the limitations of basic compass nav, swimming straight, currents, etc.

Back
Top Bottom