Compass Oil?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll try leaving it in direct sunlight for a couple of hours and, if it holds up, I'll consider the job done. If for some reason it does not then I'll report back.

I'm not sure I'd leave it in the sun. That could cause some expansion issues, but I'd really watch your reflective markings. Sunlight has been known to kill them from time to time.

I'm not sure I'd leave it in the sun. That could cause some expansion issues, but I'd really watch your reflective markings. Sunlight has been known to kill them from time to time.

I agree, it was not a great idea. I only meant the leave it in the sun for approximately the amount of time it might be exposed during normal use but forgot about it and it was in direct sunlight for about eight hours. Now it has a big bubble in it.

So far the Ultra Pure lamp oil seems to be fine but the Crafter's Goop didn't hold up to the oil. I redid it with Ultra Black RTV silicone which is used for engine gaskets and is supposed to be oil resistant. This seems to be holding up just fine. Also, when filling the fill hole with epoxy and it was dipping down and I was adding more epoxy it turns out that it made a little epoxy cylinder inside the compass that the needle was getting stuck on. The second time I filled the hole after the epoxy started to just set up and that seems to do the trick.

I redid it with Ultra Black.

Ahh, Ultra Black. I used a bunch of that over the years (a whole lot trying to get an old oil pan to reseal). Good stuff!

Also, when filling the fill hole with epoxy and it was dipping down and I was adding more epoxy it turns out that it made a little epoxy cylinder inside the compass that the needle was getting stuck on. The second time I filled the hole after the epoxy started to just set up and that seems to do the trick.

Excellent catch! I would not have thought about the epoxy making a cylinder that would affect operation. Congrats on finding and fixing that one!!!

Well, the Ultra Black silicone did not hold up to the lamp oil. Funny, but it seems to hold up to motor oil just fine. It looks like I need to either change the oil or the adhesive. I have not yet tried mineral oil but maybe that's the answer. It's a good thing I have another compass.

Dang! I would have thought Ultra Black would do the trick. If you want to risk it, you can try superglue. When dealing with most plastics, superglue actually alters the plastic to give a really nice (and strong) seal. I would use the gel type to avoid super spill (which happens to me every time I use superglue!).

Thanks for the tip. I never had much luck with superglue in the past. The only thing I ever successfully glued was the cap to the tube fo glue. Part of my problem might be the material I'm trying to use for the new backing (old backing cracked) which, I believe, is polypropylene. It's not easy to glue but is not likely to crack unless exposed to UV for long periods of time. Maybe I'll try aluminum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom