Compass mounting options - looking for something else

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you dont have to hold it at arms length. you can hold it under you. swim forward glance down and swim forward. works very well for way point navigation. many have problems using wrist mounted compasses. I mounted my wifes on a ;piece of plastic. she held both ends of the plastic like a set of handle bars and that kept the compass positioned correctly. stopped her from swimming in circles when wearing a wrist version.

Compass is bungeed on the left wrist. I agree with KWS: hold it under you.

I keep my compass in the pocket of my BCD. I did use it once for a few seconds on our last trip.

We dive high viz water so it is easy to tell shallow from deep, especially if you are doing a wall dive.

How often do you expect to use the compass?

Fairly often. Visibility is often less than 15ft on many of the dives I have been doing.

Compass is bungeed on the left wrist. I agree with KWS: hold it under you.

I think I'll be exchanging for the bungee mount. I don't really like the wristband design that Suunto uses. It pinches quite a bit.

I have a small slate with the compass mounted on it and attached to my right D-ring with a small retractor. I extended the lubber line onto the slate and use the slate for any notes I need to make on the dive.

Two is one, and one is none.

One is good, sometimes none is better. It is a matter of need rather than catchphrase.

Bob

I wear mine in a DSS mount, a top my right hand, laced in such a way orientation is correct without having to unclasp hands or contort. I can post photos if anyone's interested.

The DSS mounts have enough holes that you can lace a variety of ways to suit, some of the copies do not.

I would be interested in a photo. Thanks!

Here's one that @Marie13 took.
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/attachments/463839/

Note that the window is in line with the axis of her arm, allowing her to use the compass with her arm extended.
More accurate for precise nav than looking down at your arm at right angles.

The Dive Gear Express deluxe model is a reasonably priced model for this technique.

And with the bungees, if you prefer orienting the lubber line across your forearm as several have suggested, it mounts both ways.

Here's one that @Marie13 took.
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/attachments/463839/

Note that the window is in line with the axis of her arm, allowing her to use the compass with her arm extended.
More accurate for precise nav than looking down at your arm at right angles.

The Dive Gear Express deluxe model is a reasonably priced model for this technique.

And with the bungees, if you prefer orienting the lubber line across your forearm as several have suggested, it mounts both ways.

Ha! Thanks for posting this. I was thinking of doing it myself but couldn’t find pic on my phone. :wink:

EDIT: wth the compass mounted on my hand like this, I “sight” it like I would a rifle when I’m shooting.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom