Compass and Pencil for AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Navigation is taught in every openwater course I'm aware of. Compass ownership usually isn't and actually I'm not aware of any that require compass ownership. The rental equipment provided to students in openwater classes should include one

A compass was not my first bought piece of equipment either, all the rental stuff I used had one on the console.

Sounds like you found a reasonable priced one, remember to price shop that stuff but don't forget the value your LDS may be able to provide

Get this one for your slate. Will not rust. Has no metal parts. You can get refills, and it works just as well with heavy drygloves as bare fingers.
Pilot Croquis Charcoal Sketch Draw Pencil 6B | eBay

+1 on this. I've been using these for years with wet notes and they work great. I think they were an e-bay purchase from Hong Kong. Wet notes may not work for you if you don't have pockets, but that is something else worthwhile to get.

In a pinch the compass doesn't need to be for scuba. Most will work just fine, and one that has a lubber line is nice. I carried a ten dollar basic orienteering compass on my first 10-12 dives.

A dive compass is very nice for example because of the windows in the side that let you read it while holding it horizontally out in front of you. It's a worthwhile purchase but you can buy one when you have more cash, find a good deal, or find one for sale used. If you do get one that's not on your console, use a bungee mount or lanyard so you won't lose it :)

Navigation is taught in every openwater course I'm aware of. Compass ownership usually isn't and actually I'm not aware of any that require compass ownership. The rental equipment provided to students in openwater classes should include one

A compass was not my first bought piece of equipment either, all the rental stuff I used had one on the console.

Sounds like you found a reasonable priced one, remember to price shop that stuff but don't forget the value your LDS may be able to provide

I don't recall navigation in my OW class.. (PADI)

I find being able to navigate effectively makes diving even
more fun than before I was good at nav. I still have much to practice. I hope you discover this as well.

I don't recall navigation in my OW class.. (PADI)

Not sure when you certed but if its been in at least the last 10 years and you didn't have to run a compass course in OW dives then your cert was not proper. AOW has more requirements than OW running compass courses.

Diving compasses come in a variety of price ranges. They tend to be expensive for a couple reasons. One-they have to be sealed and are usually oil filled, to prevent salt water from getting inside and corroding and otherwise gumming up the mechanism. Two-they need to be "ruggedized" because scuba equipment gets banged around a lot, and Three-they need to be a high quality to reject "signals" from all the metal a diver wears.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom