Compass and dive computer on the same wristband?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is more to compass positioning than whether it fits on your arm or is affected by your computer (or other metal/EM fields).
You also need to be able to read it properly and follow the direction it indicates. This means having the compass positioned in front of you, centered, level, and not able to rotate horizontally. If it is off to the side, you can't follow it. Many have tried, unsuccessfully. This is why a compass on a console is difficult to use; it is hard to get it centered in front of you while swimming. Most find that having the compass on the back of the wrist allows them to properly position it in front of them, centered. I don't think I could do that if it were on the bottom of my wrist. If I am on a compass dive, I like the compass on a retractor on a chest d-ring.

As to putting your left arm first into the BCD, that is NOT a best practice, which is to put your right arm in first, or if taking it off take your left arm out first. The reason for this is so if you need to do it underwater, with your regulator in your mouth, the reg hose doesn't get twisted...since it comes from the right.
With a drysuit on, I have found, it is easier to put your left arm through bcd first, due to the exhaust vent on the left shoulder.

another vote for: "go for it"

I wear my VT3 and an analog compass on my left wrist. I find it easier to level and use the compass in this orientation and you can still glance at your computer. I have done this for 11 years. I have always had my second computer on my right wrist, that's been a Teric for the last 2 years, runs off the same transmitter.

View attachment 668531

Agree with this approach the most

I have a Shearwater computer and analog compass on my left forearm, and another Shearwater computer on my right forearm. With my hands loosely together it looks like the dashboard on my car. There's no fiddling around..........
I hate fiddling around.....and......
experimentation IS fun.
Carry on!

Back
Top Bottom