Compact doubles cart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mgdive

Reaction score
I wanted something as compact as possible, light, easily disassembled if necessary, and corrosion resistant. This is the result (See photos below).

The construction is 100% aluminum with stainless hardware. The wheels are pinned on their axles (stainless) for ease of removal. They are solid rubber from a salvaged hand-truck. I had originally intended to use pneumatic tires, but these work so well I'm not planning on replacing them.

The doubles are held in place by two machined aluminum brackets that engage the flat areas of the tank bands below the band bolts.

Though I am confident the bands can withstand the weight of the tanks in this area (a similar force exerted by the backplate), the majority of the weight of the tanks is directed onto the square tubing base of the cart (where the black rubber wrap is located). This is what actually provides stability to the carted doubles and prevents left/right flexing of the critical perpendicular frame junction. The entire unit is remarkably stable.

In addition, the tanks resting slightly on the bottom of the frame on either side of center moves the force towards the wheels instead of flexing the center of the frame downward with one immense weight. Essentially, the brackets engaging the bands hold the tanks in, the bottom frame holds them up.

Mounting and dismounting is a snap. I place the cart between myself and the doubles, lift them slightly and slide them into place. Reverse for dismount. Voila.

I intend on using this system primarily for transporting unrigged doubles to and from fill stations. The wheels are offset from the center enough to not interfere with the 55# Halcyon Explorer wings I use on these doubles. The only concern when transporting rigged is the long hose (which I wrap around the posts a few times and clip), and the trailing ends of the harness.

It was a passing thought to incorporate some sort of tripod like support, but for my needs I don't need to fabricate a mechanism to allow the loaded setup to free stand on its own. I don't see myself in a situation where I want doubles upright but not under anyone's control. This is purely a tool of convenience to augment the transportation process, not change it in its entirety.

I have put it through its paces and it has stood up to my abuse handsomely. Hope it gives you DIYers some helpful ideas. Just my way of adding wheels to a rig with a minimalist approach. Enjoy.

mg

Attached are front, rear, and side views of the cart loaded and unloaded.

Nooreck:
Nice job but how do you fold the cart. ???

Cheers

It doesn't fold, but easy to disassemble. For transportation I remove the wheels (They're just pinned on the axles, thus no tools required) and lay it flat. When laying flat in this configuration, it has a height of 2 inches and thus easily stows under a seat or under the rest of my gear. If necessary, though I have never had a need, it can be completely disassembled with a wrench from my scuba tool kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom