community service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaTec

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
How do you better the community that you live in.

Do you volunteer your time to any community organisation on a regular basis.

hmmm not on a regular basis but i do manage to donate Platelets occasionally. Its a 2 to 3 hour process but the people make it as enjoyable as possilbe.

movies, food and conversation. Best part is they wait on you hand and foot because you cant move around with that big ol needle in ya.

Andy

I did some fundraising for Orange County Burn Unit in the past too.

Also voluntered some Saturdays to assits the Fire Dept conducting its Agility testing.

Now that I have a 2 month old, things have changed a little. I do some diving with the local PD for search and recovery, I used to help with the Habitat for Humanity deal....but right now I'm kind of tied up.....what a cute baby though

sorrry...daddy's biased a little...

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
Now that I have a 2 month old,
What a sweetie... precious, that.
Nothing's more worthwhile in life.
Rick :)

I give at least 15 hours a week. I don't do it for glory, and I don't do it to please others. I surely don't do it to feed my ego. And no, I am not "padding" that time either.

You see, my dad died when I was almost 10. I had a mom and two sisters then... but no male figure to emulate. Then one of my friends graduated from WEBELOS to Boy Scouts... I came to that meeting and joined right then. Yes, I was a year early, but they didn't seem to mind much.

My second Scoutmaster (no, I didn't run the first one off) had never been a Scout. So he and I became really good friends and I found someone to learn how to be a man from and he learned how to be a Boy Scout from me. We really learned a lot together. He saw me through thick and thin, rebuking me for screwing up, encouraging me for doing well, and imparting his rather odd sense of humor to me over the next several years. He left an indelible impression on me... and the way I view this world. I don't know what I would be doing or how screwed up my life would be without Fritz Dahlstedt. I am firmly convinced that I would not be the Dad or husband that I am. In fact, I would probably be in prison or dead.

I must admit, that there are tears in my eyes as I write this. For I am truly thankful for an orginization that brought such a selfless person into my life. EVERYONE should be given the same chance that I had... so I volunteer. I could never repay what has been given me, but I do try hard to pass it on. Just as teaching a man to fish teaches him to feed himself for life, teaching a nation's youth to GIVE OF THEMSELVES FROM THE HEART teaches our nation how to be truly great. It's impossible to catch up... for the blessings I get from the kids still outstrip anything I can do for them. The more I try to repay the debt, the bigger it gets. It's a win/WIN situation. If you haven't volunteered your time yet, what in the world are you waiting for? "For to whom much has been given, much will be required."

Sorry for the emotional outpouring... but this is something close to my heart (can ya' tell???).

My own volunteering has passed through several phases. Scouts & cleanups & outdoor stuff when the boys were young.

Now - Aquarena Springs [much too fun to be considered noble] - Church - Helping my wife volunteer at the Natl. Wildflower Res. Center - nearly 3 gallons of whole blood - and steering the Division team building towards the local Food Bank, or Blue Santa, or etc.....

Still only 3-4 hours a week - my hats off to you Doc!

I say that will tears of joy. If we're lucky, we all have a Fritz in our lives whether it be a parent or not.

BigT...She's beautiful! Congrats, Dad!

NetDoc I think Fritz would be very proud of you too! My involvement in my community is of a different nature I help new farmers to get started with advice, the use of equipment and what ever I can do to help. Its kind of giving back to those who gave to me. I am very involved in local and regional politics. supporting good people of all political stripes and working my butt off for them. For those of you who live in Canada I have worked on Liberal, conservative and NDP campaigns. I believe that the kind of person you are is way more important than your view on specific issues. and its fun:) Big T you just got the best job there is.... Dad. Until she hits 14 then for 2 years pure hell heheh if ya want I know of a convent in the middle of a wheat field in Sask. you can threaten her with then :) It got me thru 4 teenage girls and I'm not even Catholic. Girls brains turn to mush 14-16 then all 0f a sudden they regenerate and are real nice people too. The best part the more difficult they are at that age the less you worry about em later . Have fun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom