Communicating Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think those few times when verbal communication would be handy are not worth the time, expense, and overall annoyance of an underwater comm device.

Although I have definitely considered picking up a sign language book and gradually learning diving-related words with my girlfriend.

If you really need to talk with a reg in your mouth, just yell through it. TSandM has it right. It is not the most efficient. Hand and light signals work the best. To find the more complex signals, the book Blackwood mentioned is excellent.

I wouldn't want to be able to talk underwater. I like diving in that it forces people to only communicate when absolutely necessary. Much more peaceful. Outside of scuba I talk incessently so it shuts me up for a while too, which most people probably appreciate.

(how do you equalise if you cant pinch your nose through the glass)

Well DCBC answered this in regards to full face masks already but you can equalise without pinching your nose. I can't remember the last time I pinched my nose to equalise - if I have to do that it means I've started equalising too late. I just wiggle my ears and it equalises my ears. You can also swallow or make a yawning motion.

Greetings Substefan and fellow divers I really like the hand signals, light signals, slates, and touch communication. I find that I like listening to breathing patterns of my buddies not their voices underwater. This however is my personal preference.
I can understand the value in having a com device for team task oriented dives as in no vis or recovery for team support above and below the water. I have been around a few com devices and they work well for these tasks. They are a bit pricey for just recreational diving and for the most part best left to the professionals to perform commercial duties. If you want to talk then go for it just please keep the volume down so you do not scare the fish away. We might have to come up with a new hand signal for quiet time!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Underwater communication is such a bug-a-boo for me. I love the tranquility and comfort I've found underwater, and to preserve it, I'm very happy commuicating with hand/light signals and body language. My fiance, on the other hand, is convinced that because he dives a rebreather, his speech is perfectly intelligible underwater. I've seen him communicate successfully with others, so I guess the problem is me - I can't understand a word he says. His speech underwater sounds like a muppet swallowing another muppet, and all I can do is shrug helplessly, ask him to repeat himself, and/or offer him my wrist-slate. He then gets frustrated that I can't understand him, while I get upset with myself for being such a dummy...maybe I need a hearing-aid, or something!

My wife and I know American Sign Language. We use it when we need to. Our usual conversations are around photo compositions and student issues. We do more underwater talking when we are with a class of open water divers than any other time. "I'll take care of this one if you'll chase after that one." or "That student needs about six more pounds."

For Commercial applications nothing beats a good set of comms but I tend to agree with most of the post here that when I dive recreationally I don't want to hear someone elses voice. When my Wife was still diving she had a way of letting me know what she was thinking without words or hand signals. The all telling 'glare' was enough to communicate what she wanted to say.:fear:

Vinegarbiscuit you are not a dummy...even a sharp tack is dull on one end.

My husband actually yelled at me the other day, when he found an octopus, and to my amazement, I heard him very clearly. I don't want him to know that, though.

My favorite dives have been with my regular dive buddy, when all we have to do is glance at one another, and everything that needs to be said, has been said. Unfortunately, this drives any third team member who dives with us a little crazy . . . :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom