Comming on Vacation to Outer Banks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cfairchi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all, I am comming down to Kitty Hawk for vacation in mid to late July and am looking for some advice. I will be able to get away for 1 day to do some diving and was hoping to book a charter trip and check out a cool wreck. Which dive shop would you reccomend that is close to Kitty Hawk and what would be a good (the best?)wreck to see? Do some have better visability than others? What kind of water temps can I expect in mid/late July? I only have advance certification and no wreck certs, so it would need to be a non-penetration no deco dive. Was looking at outer banks dive center on the web and it looks like they have charters to U-85 and Jackson on 7/19, 7/20. Would those be good options?

thanks

That is the best op anywhere near Kitty Hawk. I have dove with Bill on numerous wrecks, including the U-85. Decent dive. A friend of mine did the Jackson & said it was a good dive.
Another hour south in Hatteras there is Outer Banks Diving. Outer Banks Diving also a good operation & can get to some warmer & bluer water. Lots of nice diving. I went with them last October & dove the Abrams & Dixie Arrow.
Water temps in Nags Head will probably be mid-60s lower 70s. Hatteras probably lower 80s.
There is also JTs boat in Hatteras, but it only holds 6 & typically has a full schedule, but you could see if they have a spot open. A very good op.Capt JT's Wreck Diving Site

Check out this video of the U-85 on youtube YouTube - Dive of the wreck U-85 submarine

The U-85 is supposed to be one of the best wrecks in the area, but when I dove it last August visibility was 2 feet or less which is definitely not normal. Due to the angle the wreck is sitting I went right by the conning tower (and the anchor line). I did run into a large turtle which was cool. I definitely want to go back again this August.

I have done shore dives with Outer Banks Dive Center and had good experiences, but they cancelled a dive and failed to even attempt calling me. Lets just say I wasn't happy when I got to the boat just before 7AM and nobody was there. So the next year I went out with Ghost Fleet Dive Charters. I have done two dives with them and been happy both times. All that said, If OBDC was going where I wanted to go, I would give them another chance because they are very nice.

I would nmake the extra hour-long drive down to Hatteras and get the blue water. You don't need wreck certification, there is lots to see without penetrating.

Coming to BOTH Moorhead City and Nags Head to dive in late May. Any suggestions for clean but inexpensive hotels?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom