Commercial shark fishing in the Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baitballer

Contributor
Reaction score
I just received this email and I do not think the person who sent it would mind me posting it here. If you like seeing sharks in the Bahamas, you should pay attention to it!

Bahamian Sharks Threatened by Shark Finning

SUNCO Wholesale Seafood Ltd. has announced that it plans to explore the export of shark fin caught in the Bahamas. Sharks have never been commercially fished there before, which helps to explain the healthy shark populations that exist. SUNCO's CEO James Mackey stated that he was looking into the possibility although he did not yet have permissions from the Department of Marine Resources.

The company, which is based at North Mastic Point, Andros has set up with close trading links to the Chinese Shenzhen Fengyuhua Trade Co. Ltd via a shell company in New Jersey and is currently "harvesting" a daily average of 5,000 "furry" sea cucumbers (Astichopus multifidus).

The impact of large-scale shark finning on the Bahamian shark population would be immense. There is currently no protection in Bahamian law for sharks, as there has not yet been a need. In order to try and change this, a petition has been launched urging the government to ban the import and export of shark products.

Please help us protect the sharks of the Bahamas by taking a moment to sign the petition. All of us here at Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures thank you for your support.

Don't just ban Import and Export. Ban fishing for sharks completely.

I visit Grand Bahama Island Yearly. I enjoy diving with and Photographing the Sharks there!! It's been sad to see the Shark population declining over the past few years.

Whenever shark strips is on the menu at the local restaurants. someone has caught a shark and sold it to them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom