Commercial Diving Webpages: Everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Lore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Been a while but I thought I'd start this thread off for any decent webpages that have information about commerical diving as there aren't that many out there.
Most of the ones that are tend to want money in return for an outdated book on dive company's etc:

For the beginner wanting to know more they could do worse than checking out the link below: :)

Anyone else find websites please list them on this thread

i have a random question what is it like to use a hard hat

Are you talking about a modern diving helmet like those made by Kirby Morgan Helmets or spun copper heavy gear hats that dominated the early 1960s and before? Could you be a little more specific about "what is it like"?

I have a couple questions about commercial diving:

1. What is the mortality rate of underwater welders?
2. Is the mortality rate of ALL commercial divers as high as the rate of an underwater welder?
3. If it is higher for the welders, what specifically contributes to that?

Ive been considering a career in Commercial Diving, and i cant find many statistics on the mortality rate, although i hear it is pretty high, and that there is also a low life expectancy. Most of what i hear is in regard to the underwater welders. I dont hear much about any other fields of commercial diving.

Go to www.offshorediver.com

John Carl Rote has posted the list of fatalities for the last five or ten years in the U.S. there.

It's great for spending extended amounts of time in the water.

I like the reliability of hard wired communications, and the fact that your head stays dry and warm. Also - its not so bad that you don't have to hold a 2nd stage regulator in your mouth.

I do not have exact figures at hand for commercial diver mortality rates but they are far less by percent then that of scuba divers. The only commercial divers I ever meet who could not swim were welders. The reason is if you need a good underwater welder it is much easier to train a good welder to dive then it is to train a diver to be a good welder. There is obviously more risk when use electricity in the water but my experience in this area is very limited so I can not help you with that part of your question.

It's bulky, heavy, a strain on your neck, but very useful for commercial diving at depths of up to 300M.
When you come out of the water you really feel the weight of the thing and I can't wait to have it off my head after a dive.

I have a couple questions about commercial diving:

1. What is the mortality rate of underwater welders?
2. Is the mortality rate of ALL commercial divers as high as the rate of an underwater welder?
3. If it is higher for the welders, what specifically contributes to that?

Ive been considering a career in Commercial Diving, and i cant find many statistics on the mortality rate, although i hear it is pretty high, and that there is also a low life expectancy. Most of what i hear is in regard to the underwater welders. I dont hear much about any other fields of commercial diving.

Back in the olden days of the 1960s to 1980s there was more health risks involved with commercial diving. This was partly to do with the lifestyle, conditions but mostly the decompression models used, which were very aggressive. Bone necrosis being one such long-term illness.

It's bulky, heavy, a strain on your neck, but very useful for commercial diving at depths of up to 300M.
When you come out of the water you really feel the weight of the thing and I can't wait to have it off my head after a dive.

Modern hats are used a lot deeper than that, like well over 500 M. There is not a lot of work deeper than 300M due to operating costs rather than ability to perform work or helmet performance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom