Comments on Updated TOS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's great that we get a reminder of the TOS every once in a while. Maybe not a bad idea to make it an annual requirement? I had no idea that profanity was against the TOS int he pub.....

It is? Oh boy, I need to read TOSs more often.

Btw. 1000th post:D

Minor changes including clarification that moderators are volunteers and not employees or agents of the company.

By forcing everyone to agree to and read the updated TOS, nobody can say we made changes without knowledge or consent.

Just curious, and by no means am I trying to stir the pot, but how can a volunteer moderator not be considered an agent of the company? I would imagine there are rules that the moderators follow laid forth by Scubaboard, so they are representatives on some level, right?

I volunteer for the Beneath the Sea show, and during that weekend, while I am a volunteer, I do feel that I represent Beneath the Sea and need to act accordingly.

I think the TOS reminder is a good idea.

Howard, if I were you, I'd amend the message one gets to say, "Before you can continue, you must read the Revised Terms of Service." Getting that cryptic message, particularly with the typo in it, made me think the site had been hacked, and I was NOT going to click the link until I was sure it was safe.

Worth doing ...thank you. My particular pet peeve is agents using forums intended to disperse information for their own use in recruiting trip passengers. I'm glad to see that prohibition reinforced in print.

Howard, if I were you, I'd amend the message one gets to say, "Before you can continue, you must read the Revised Terms of Service." Getting that cryptic message, particularly with the typo in it, made me think the site had been hacked, and I was NOT going to click the link until I was sure it was safe.

It now says this.

ScubaBoard requires that you view a the following thread before you are permitted to continue participating on the site.

If you log out of your account, you wouldn't see that message, as reading the forum is open to the public. Posting messages requires acceptance of the TOS.

Howard, yes, I read that message -- my point is that it doesn't give any description of the thread you have to read, and it has a typo in it -- that's the kind of thing you see when malware has taken over a site and is redirecting folks to something evil.

Define PG. I have seen a lot of things in PG movies I consider profane.
If you have a problem with a post or thread, click on the "Report Post" link that sits at the bottom of the thread. Please be specific on how you feel the post violates the ToS. What's obvious to you, may not be obvious to others. If the post or thread violates the ToS or the spirit of the ToS, our volunteers will take the appropriate action. If no action is necessitated, then they will let you know that as well.

Just curious, and by no means am I trying to stir the pot, but how can a volunteer moderator not be considered an agent of the company?
The lack of compensation allows them to retain certain freedoms of expression. Our volunteers are users first and moderators only when they need to be. This allows them to have opinions contrary to the management of ScubaBoard without a conflict of interest. In that regard, it's impossible for them to speak for ScubaBoard or to enter into any agreement(s) that would expose ScubaBoard to any liability or financial encumbrance.

I am an attorney and generally out of touch :wink:

I work in an office with roughly 400 other attorneys -- you're squarely in the norm for the profession :eyebrow:.

(. . . I sure hope I didn't just violate any of the new TOS :no:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom