Coming to West Palm!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shaggylemur

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Im traveling to West Palm beach for a wedding on the last weekend of February. I plan on coming in on Thursday night and diving on Friday Morning the 27th of February. I have my advanced and am working on Advanced Nitrox and Deco. I will be bringing my lp108s and all my gear.

I need a dive buddy
I need to start planning a dive
I would like to dive a good wreck.
I can bring a twinset if the dive requires it
Im pretty comfortable with depths to 140.

Someone Come dive with me!

shaggy: as an FYI, most of the diving in northern Palm Beach county is drift diving, sometimes currents can run at 2 knots, which makes for a very fun reef dive but not a good wreck dive. When the current is light, we have some awesome wreck dives where you can see goliath grouper, sharks, morays, turtles, etc. However, no operator knows how the current will be flowing 3 weeks from now, so very few boats will be able to guaranty a wreck dive until the morning of a dive, especially this time of year. With that as background, here are a few thougths:

1) If you must dive a wreck, head to Pompano. There are equally nice wrecks there and the current is generally much lighter than northern Palm Beach county and an operator can more reliably predict whether they can conduct a wreck dive or not. South Florida Dive HQ, Pompano Dive Center and Scubatyme are options.

2) Call Force-E: it's a great shop that doesn't operate a dive boat but acts as a broker for a lot of boats in Palm Beach county and Broward county. They can find out if any operator is intending to conduct wreck dives and then get you on that boat.

3) Go out with Jupiter Dive Centers three tank Friday AM dive. Sounds like you enjoy deeper dives and the first one is usually a deeper reef (100+ feet). Second and third dives are also likely to be reefs but more in the 60-80 range. Sometimes they'll visit the Zion train wrecks as part of the three tank trip.

Most of the locals who post on SB work M-F, so have trouble scheduling dives on work days. In northern Palm Beach county, virtually all the boats put a guide/DM in the water. If you don't want to deal with an insta-boat buddy, just hang with the guide (I'm assuming you'll be on nitrox, which all the guides will be). Your LP tanks will be sufficient for any recreational dives in the area. I use an HP 100 and 120 and am usually one of the last divers to surface on most of my dives.

Enjoy your trip

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom