Coming to SoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sberanek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I plan to visit some friends in the Santa Ana and Laguna Beach areas (to name a few), and I was wondering how the diving was in mid Jan. to mid. Feb.? I would like just a brief synopsis of conditions, what type of exposure protection would be good, etc. I want to do Catalina at least once, but I'm open to suggestions for other areas since I plan on moving out there once I graduate.

Thanks,
Shannon

The water at Catalina was 61 degrees at 85 feet last weekend. It souldn't varry that much until Feb or March. Along the coast it will be colder because the water get churned more often. But, the colder it is the clearer it will be.

You will need a 7 mil wet suit, or a 5 mil multiple layer wet suit or a dry suit to dive the So. Cal coast in the winter time. It is really just too cold for anything thinner. I have done some dives with out a hood or gloves, but you will get cold faster without them. I think a standerd hood is 5 mil thick. I really like to use a hooded vest but a hood with a long yoke on it that tucks under your wet suit will be fine.

Check out La Jolla and the boats out of San Diego as weel as Laguna and Catalina. All the good wrecks are off San Diego, but they are deep. I like the Lois Ann as a dive boat because it is a short half day trip for two to three wreck dives.

If you're interested in staying on and diving Catalina, PM me and I'll be glad to help answer questions. If you're thinking of a day trip here to dive the dive park, or a dive boat from the mainland that will take you to Catalina, I can give suggestions as well. I'm in Sarasota FL right now but will be back on the island before the end of the month.

Back
Top Bottom