Coming to Seattle, need suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gen.Lee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got a three-week job coming up in June in Seattle and need some advice on where to dive or a good dive boat. I know I will need my dry suit. Do I need anything else other than the normal stuff?:confused:

What kind of diving are you interested in doing? We have excellent shore diving, and some very good charters. Here, you are expected to provide your own gear, including weights and tanks, on a boat. There are lots of places to rent such things, but if you let us know precisely what dates you will be here and where you will be, I would imagine there is somebody who can lend you a tank or two and some weights.

Our water temps right now are in the high 40's to around 50, so you need exposure protection for those temperatures, including a hood and gloves. A good light helps a lot, too, as we often have a surface layer of algae that makes the deeper, clearer water quite dark.

Again, let us know exactly when you are coming and where you will be (the Seattle metropolitan area is kind of like the LA metropolitan area -- HUGE -- and who will step up to offer to guide you and where they'll want to go will depend in part on where you are based).

Ditto what Lynne says...
Let us know and I'm sure someone will step up to help and dive with you.
K

TSandM:
Again, let us know exactly when you are coming and where you will be (the Seattle metropolitan area is kind of like the LA metropolitan area -- HUGE -- and who will step up to offer to guide you and where they'll want to go will depend in part on where you are based).

Seattle like LA now that's a new comparison I hadn't thought of.
142 square miles vs 498 square miles

Brian

bet63:
Seattle like LA now that's a new comparison I hadn't thought of.
142 square miles vs 498 square miles

Brian
Then again ... to a diver, "Seattle" means the area between Anacortes and Olympia ... which is better defined as "Pugetropolis" ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks all,

I am flying out to Seattle, so it hard to bring tanks and weights. When I get a hard date form my boss I will let you all know. My dry suit will handle the water temp. I have no clue on where or what to dive out there. Down here in Atlanta we dive lakes, quarries, Florida springs, or head for the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico. My job keep me traveling and I dive when I get close to water. Later this year I might get to do some diving down in Trinidad off the coast of South America. Again, thank for the information and the offer to help.

Lee

If you are actually going to be in downtown Seattle, life will be very easy, and you will have no problem finding people with whom to dive. When Do It Easy came out from Chicago, I picked him up where he was staying, and we did the Edmonds Underwater Park and Alki Cove 2. There's good shore diving easily accessible from the downtown area. Dsteding lives downtown, too, and owns lots and lots of tanks :)

I've got a couple extra tanks too ... :D

Garage.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

TSandM:
.. I picked him up where he was staying, and we did the Edmonds Underwater Park and Alki Cove 2. There's good shore diving easily accessible from the downtown area. Dsteding lives downtown, too, and owns lots and lots of tanks :)

Me thinks I just found the perfect dive buddy in the west coast! :wink: I will keep you in mind when my schedule allows me to haul gear. Perhaps get a couple of dives (if you have the time for it that is) Nothing better than the locals to find the best spots. Oh yeah!

Back
Top Bottom