Coming on Wed and i'm worried...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rain is only a negative for underwater photographers as it usually means clouds and darker skies. My favorite positive about the rain is a nice fresh-water shower to rinse my face and hair after ascent while waiting for the boat pickup.

Occasionally it can turn into a bit of a squall, but there's no difference underwater. It just makes the boat rides more interesting. That said, should you happen to ascend in such a condition where surface visibility is poor due to a hard rain, be extra alert for boats and ready to quickly re-descend if necessary, wave your sausage extra high, or best yet, stick with the DM/group and don't get separated in the first place.

Guess i'm just getting some last minute jitters. Thanks for the reassurance. I'm thinking my visit will be great, but i'm not too sure about my non diving companion though.

Kinda weird the first time coming up and seeing it pouring on the surface giving it a weird look from under plus a tidge of lighting. Never hurt the diving though...

Rain is only a negative for underwater photographers as it usually means clouds and darker skies. My favorite positive about the rain is a nice fresh-water shower to rinse my face and hair after ascent while waiting for the boat pickup.

Occasionally it can turn into a bit of a squall, but there's no difference underwater. It just makes the boat rides more interesting. That said, should you happen to ascend in such a condition where surface visibility is poor due to a hard rain, be extra alert for boats and ready to quickly re-descend if necessary, wave your sausage extra high, or best yet, stick with the DM/group and don't get separated in the first place.

Hi, all,

Mossman raise two excellent points here:

(1) Rain off Cozumel is really only an issue if you are a photographer: sometimes it interfers with clarity.

(2) Safety sausages, sometimes referred to as SMB (Surface Marker Buoy), are, in my mind, highly recommended for Cozumel's live boat drift diving. I also recommend a plastic signal whistle.

Now, I'm sure I will get some flack for (2), but every once and a while a diver can get separated from his boat/DM and these devices will aid in securing help or in getting the attention of your boat/DM. Occasionly Cozumel will experience some very high velocity currents and most dive shops go out of their way to detect and avoid them. However, Mother Nature can be perverse...:(

joewr...remembering a few "Dorothy, are we still in Kansas"-type currents off Cozumel...just buckle your seatbelts and enjoy the ride....:wink:

There is some sort of disturbance in the area which you can see on local webcams.

Read the info on it by placing your mouse cursor over the appropriate yellow circle at

nhc.noaa.gov

By Wednesday, it may be gone.....No guarantee of course.

I never had rain bother a dive. Look at it this way, you can rinse your gear while you are still in it!

Totally agree with Joewr about the safety sausage in Cozumel. We had rain off and on for a week in June this year and one day the currents that normally flow south to north were colliding with some flowing north to south precisely where we surfaced. Not a big deal, just some "rocking and rolling" to quote another from this thread, but a safety sausage is standard gear for me in Cozumel.

As for diving in the rain, it's just another scuba experience. You may not find that you prefer diving in rain, but a bad day of diving beats, as they say, a good day at work!

We have had A LOT of rain the past few days - but diving has gone as scheduled until today - port is closed, but not for the rain, for the wind. Today is overcast and windy but there are some patches of blue trying to peek through.

As far as photography being affected - not even that is a problem - you just set your camera and flash settings accordingly (unless you are using a point and shoot and don't have that ability). These are great conditions to choose macro subjects since the sunlight doesn't really matter as much.

Last edited:
I just returned from the Occidental Grand after 14 nights, trust me your main concern is going to be the dreadful service and limited choice of food in the one restaurant thats open.

MUFC:
I just returned from the Occidental Grand after 14 nights, trust me your main concern is going to be the dreadful service and limited choice of food in the one restaurant thats open.

This helps to confirm what I try to tell people all the time when booking an all-inclusive in Cozumel - ESPECIALLY during low season.

I understand all-inclusive resorts in some destinations, or if it's a very nice AI, but not here. The AI's in Cozumel leave a lot to be desired in comparison to AI's in other areas (even across the channel). Here they are nothing more than a typical resort, the difference is just that the food and horrible drinks are included. There are way too many great places to eat on the island for any taste and budget and there are so many other lodging options that are closer to town so that you don't double the price of your meal with taxi fare. That is of course just my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom