Coming back to Maui... buddy for shore dive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Feb 8 -15.

FINALLY getting back to Maui, haven't been in 5 years. Got certified (and married) in Wailea in 1992, first 10 dives were Maui dives. Feels like coming home :)

Last two times I've used ERDA, and was happy. They loosely let me do my own thing and didn't bark about dive times, etc. I've done all of the backside, reef's end and shark condos, a lot of the inshore reefs, marty's, etc.

I've read the discussion re: B&B vs. ERDA and others. Any reason not to use ERDA? Our condo is right next door to B&B. PM me if you don't want to say publicly.

Not sure what our schedule is yet since I just booked it, but depending on sched. I'd be interested in a shore dive or two since I've never shore dived there, and would preer to have some local knowledge. Nothing too gnarly, I'm into the relaxing, long shore dives.

So Cal diver, PADI DM (inactive), 750+ dives, semi DIR compliant :)

Oh yeah, just searched and found that Azeka's CLOSED recently. Darnit, I was really looking forward to some teriyaki beef!

Some people have had issues with ERDA and choose not to use them any longer. Personally, I've only had excellent experiences with them and I will continue to use them until I feel there's a reason not to.

This board is very much pro-B&B, so they are highly recommended. I've not heard of anyone having a bad experience diving with them. My personal experience with them is from trying to book and being rudely put off (twice)....it was enough that I chose not to try a third time.

If you're looking for good teriyaki beef, try Aloha Mixed Plate behind the Safeway in Lahaina. YUM!!!

I have also had excellent experiences with ERDA every trip I've taken with them. I haven't tried B&B yet, but (apart from DiveMaven's experience) I've only heard good things about them.

Still, my favourite group to dive with is Dive and Sea <http://www.diveandseamaui.com/>. In part, this is because they leave later than everyone else (check-in is at 7:30 am), and I enjoy getting a little extra shut-eye. Because of the later departure, we always seem to have dive sites to ourselves -- both inside Molokini and the Back Wall are different experiences when there are no other boats around.

More importantly, John and Emi give fantastic service, and their boat (the Sundance II) only takes 6 passengers. I'd recommend Dive and Sea to anyone looking for a 2-tank trip out of Kihei.

Myself, I don't get to Maui until Feb. 18. I'll be diving there Feb. 19-24. As the primary purpaose of this trip is to begin the Divemaster course with Maui Dreams Dive Co., I'm not sure how many "just for fun" dives I'll be able to squeeze in during that week.

Peace,
Dave

ChrisM:
Feb 8 -15.

Not sure what our schedule is yet since I just booked it, but depending on sched. I'd be interested in a shore dive or two since I've never shore dived there, and would preer to have some local knowledge. Nothing too gnarly, I'm into the relaxing, long shore dives.

Oh yeah, just searched and found that Azeka's CLOSED recently. Darnit, I was really looking forward to some teriyaki beef!
I have visitors coming in Saturday 1/27 that leave on Feb 7th, so I'll be ready for some more diving just about the time you get on island. Usually, South Maui since I'm in Kihei. I'll PM contact info.

The common area BBQs have been noticeably cleaner since Azeka's closed and there are fewer fatty ribs + tons of sauce being grilled. :)

Charlie Allen

dbittner:
Still, my favourite group to dive with is Dive and Sea <http://www.diveandseamaui.com/>. In part, this is because they leave later than everyone else (check-in is at 7:30 am), and I enjoy getting a little extra shut-eye.

More importantly, John and Emi give fantastic service, and their boat (the Sundance II) only takes 6 passengers. I'd recommend Dive and Sea to anyone looking for a 2-tank trip out of Kihei.
Emi would definitely win the Miss Maui DM beauty contest, particularly in her tiger print bikini. :)

I had a good time on the couple of trips I've taken with Dive and Sea, but the lack of a head on their boat means the ProdiverMaui is my preferred 6 pack (indeed, I'll be up at 5:30AM tomorrow to be able to make the 5:45AM check-in at the dock). For someone with a non-diving spouse, the early departure and 10:30ish return of ProDiver (and also B&B) works out well. Obviously ProDiver isn't the boat for night owl/later riser sort of people.

Maui has lots of good dive ops, and you'd have to be incredibly hard-to-please to not find one you like.

My comments on the various dive ops

Charlie Allen

PM me for contact details -- I'll probably be up for a dive or two as well.

Dave: let's go diving sometime when you're here if you can find time. I always like to get together with fellow Canucks! :D

Ill be in Maui with my non diving wife and non diving baby. Ill be there from the 4th to the 10th. Ill be diving the 5th to the 9th with B&B. Aside from the sandwiches one of the other great things is B&B leave the earliest. This allows me to get back to my family while others are just surfacing from their 2nd dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom