Comin' to Kona!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the islands have their charm. They're all worthwhile for diving in different ways, and few divers sample them all to any great extent. Sadly the only person on the board I recall that's done extensive diving on the major 3-4 of them, Wildcard, is no longer with us.

Re Au Au: It's a long ways down there. I suspect Jack's and Big Island do get down there from time to time as they're big enough to get a group big enough to make the trip worthwhile and have multiple boats, but it's definitely not a regular event. I get lots of people inquiring... "I really want to do Au Au" "How many in your group?" "Just me" or "My buddy and I", unfortunately the numbers just don't work out unless you get get some divers that are OK with a hefty premium to make it. There are probably more trips in late summer simply because the days are longer and the water generally calmer. It's no fun being an hour south at full speed, then having the weather turn on you to where you now have got a 2 hour bumpy wet ride.. doesn't happen often, but it can during much of the year.

Aloha,

Thanks again for the condo info friscuba. We are narrowing down the search. Any suggestions on a place? There are many to choose from. We were hoping to keep under $600 for 6 nights total.

We got a great deal on a car through hotwire, $135 for a week, Mazda 6 or similar.

Kona seaside that where we stay. Not much but it is clean.

The condos run the gamut of pricing, my suggestion is get on Vrbo.com and read, read, read, and hope you made the right choice. Most of the major complexes in the Kona and Kohala areas are pretty nice and if you are looking at them there's so many to choose from and the prices can run all over the place. I don't get to look at many of the rentals around, the only rental in Kailua I can vouch for konaoceanvillas.com is a bit above the range you've quoted, but it's nice.

If you get off the main tourist strips you can find some real gems, and some real junkers so you'll need to read between the lines to some extent. If you are thinking a spot for diving that's away from the resorts, check into rentals in Puako and the Captain Cook/Kealakekua area as both areas offer good nearby shore diving, the Capatain Cook/Kealakekua areas will require half hour drive at least for boat diving though. If you're looking at that area our rental is Captain Cook, Hawaii vacation rental by owner: 1 bedroom Apartment-attached to our home rental that sleeps 4. Away from the Crowds, But Near Everything! Explore & Enjoy! and is at the top edge of your price range.

Good luck on the condo hunt. I'm glad you got a deal on a car, too many people do that last and find they either can't get a car or they're priced high.

I just booked a place at Kona Isle from a couple in Longbeach. Seem like nice people. $625 total for a seaside room for 6 nights. I am very happy, so far. Contacted them through VRBO. Awesome site! I wil use it again when traveling to other places as well.

Thought I would put my 2 cents in: we were in Kona and dove with Wanna Dive for 2 weeks in December and were very impressed with the diving. On our very first dive, we heard whales singing for almost 1/2 an hour which was really exciting and also, much to my daughters delight, saw dolpins during another dive. Both those experiences were firsts for us and definitely a highlight. We were also impressed with the viz, the variety of fish (including many we had never seen before) and I would highly recommend doing some night diving. Here is my trip report: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/316676-kona-dive-report-wanna-dive.html#post4928444

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom