Combined tray for both SL DC1400 and GoPro H2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raftingtigger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm in the middle of adding 2-1000 lumen diffused light heads with a common battery canister to my GoPro tray and confused the whole issue by buying a SeaLife DC1400 camera. I would like to have them all mounted on one tray. Has anyone done something similar?

My GoPro rig started as a side-by-side 3D Nikonos rig:

On our New Year's Dive, you may have noticed Jak Crow has his GoPro mounted on top of his still camera.

Here is a new tray we carry that works well, lots of attachment options. And yes it comes in black, lol.

Can't figure out how to attach an image.
It keeps asking for a URL.
If you are wanting to upload an image from your computer, click the "Go Advanced" button to get to the full editor, and then the "Manage Attachments" button down in Additional Options.

From there a box opens and you select "add files" in the upper corner, and then "select files" to get to your computer's file structure.

Once you have selected all you want, select upload to bring them into the upper box and then drag the ones you want into the lower box and click "insert inline".

See, easypeazy.

(Not!)

So I'm not the only crazy person out there using 2 NikonosVs to shoot 3D.
Here's my set-up.
Twin Nikonos | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Actually, it's just like yours, but with out the strobes.
I haven't tried flash with it yet.
Can't synch 2 cameras to the same flash.
Here's some of my shots.
Enjoy.
3D - mattullmanphoto

I found two finger sync adequate for side by side Nikonos' with strobes, actually. I occasionally lost a shot or two catching the shutter of one of the cameras midway, but most shots were fine. For my macro rig I would set one camera on the B setting and connect both strobes to the other. I would open the shutter on the "B" camera then fire the second, which would control the exposure via TTL control of the strobes. This worked fine in dark CA waters but failed in Hawaii waters---the B camera just let in too much light, even with ASA 25 film.

I
If you are wanting to upload an image from your computer, click the "Go Advanced" button to get to the full editor, and then the "Manage Attachments" button down in Additional Options.

From there a box opens and you select "add files" in the upper corner, and then "select files" to get to your computer's file structure.

Once you have selected all you want, select upload to bring them into the upper box and then drag the ones you want into the lower box and click "insert inline".

See, easypeazy.

(Not!)

Thanks for the simple instructions on photo uploading!
Will load photos, soon.

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2013 at 08:09 AM ----------

I found two finger sync adequate for side by side Nikonos' with strobes, actually. I occasionally lost a shot or two catching the shutter of one of the cameras midway, but most shots were fine. For my macro rig I would set one camera on the B setting and connect both strobes to the other. I would open the shutter on the "B" camera then fire the second, which would control the exposure via TTL control of the strobes. This worked fine in dark CA waters but failed in Hawaii waters---the B camera just let in too much light, even with ASA 25 film.

I'll have to try the one strobe each technique. I thought about the B camera method, but all my night dives keep getting cancelled. So used to using 400 with no flash I never thought to use slower film in daylight. Trouble is, now they stopped making 400 slide film, only 100 left. Do they still make 64 or 25 speed? I shoot transparencies to use in the "Viewmaster" type viewers.

For two finger sync each camera had its own strobe.

Generally both cameras captured light from both strobes & everything was fine.

Occasionally one of the cameras would catch the other strobe's light while the shutter blade was in transit and there would be a line across the image.

Even more rarely I would trigger each camera with enough of a delay that each camera only caught the light from it's own strobe. If the strobes are positioned next to each other this could still yield an acceptable image, assuming nothing had moved. If the strobes were positioned wide apart the different shadows could make the pair hard to view, but they were usually ok.

I only used the B trick with my macro rig as it is impossible to place the strobes close enough to get acceptable shadows.

For macro work the aperture is stopped all the way down so the strobes dominate the exposure & the B trick works (in CA waters).

For wider angle shots---i.e. side-by-side---the strobes are just lighting up the foreground subject and ambient light is used for the rest of the image. The B trick would likely fail to match the ambient light in this situation.

I'm in the middle of adding 2-1000 lumen diffused light heads with a common battery canister to my GoPro tray and confused the whole issue by buying a SeaLife DC1400 camera. I would like to have them all mounted on one tray. Has anyone done something similar?
Yes, although with a Canon S100 housing and a Contour camera.

IMG_5933.jpgIMG_5934.jpgIMG_5935.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom