Combatting 50 degrees of frigid cold water...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are you using for a hood? Isn't that 40% of heat loss is from the head? On your next Monterey trip you can go to Otter Bay Wetsuits (they are a few blocks from the aquarium) and check out their 12mm hoods. They can take the measurements for you and $85 and 10 days later you'll have a custom 12mm hood. I think that would be the best next purchase instead of adding a half mil suit under what you already have.

What are you using for boots? 5mm or 7mm? Maybe step up to 7mm there.

As for gloves I think the minimum for Monterey is 5mm, but that is more of a personal preference thing. You are close with 4mm, so I would work on the hood and boots first.

As for a dry suit - I know you aren't in the market for one now...but if and when you start thinking of one, just keep in mind the cost of ownership is a lot more than the cost of the dry suit itself; especially if you go with a trilam versus a neoprene. The additional cost will be an undergarment (trilam requires more insulation to come from the undergarment) and seal replacement....and the worry of tearing a sear if you don't have zip seals....and the lesser potential of blowing a zipper.

Rob, your recommendations on a custom hood and thicker gloves are good ones. Hopefully the OP doesn't rely on finger dexterity during his dives because that may be a problem with the 5mm gloves. Maybe a 3-finger mitt style would be helpful. On another note, I've heard that those Otter Bay hoods are worth their weight in gold! :)

Also, you're correct about the increased cost of owning a drysuit over a wetsuit, but it really doesn't have to be that bad. I have heard horror stories of some people sinking a ton of money into their drysuits. Maybe I've just been lucky, but the only expenses I can think of in 2 yrs of owning my drysuit are: (1) $60 replacement of neck seal, (2) $10 zipper wax, (3) $5 unscented drysuit talc. The undergarment was included in my drysuit package, but as you well know, any fleece/sweatsuit would work as an undergarment.

Yes, I'm one of those unfortunate drysuit owners that doesn't have a DUI suit with nifty zipseals. If I blow a seal, you're right, I'll need to get it repaired before diving dry again. Still, my drysuit has been, hands-down, the best investment I have made in the sport.

Just my $0.02.

As for a dry suit - I know you aren't in the market for one now...but if and when you start thinking of one, just keep in mind the cost of ownership is a lot more than the cost of the dry suit itself; especially if you go with a trilam versus a neoprene. The additional cost will be an undergarment (trilam requires more insulation to come from the undergarment) and seal replacement....and the worry of tearing a sear if you don't have zip seals....and the lesser potential of blowing a zipper.

Cost of ownership more than buying it? You're kidding right? I can have all 3 seals replaced at my LDS for less than $100 (that's seals & labor) & the seals on my old suit were over 3 yrs. old but still in excellent shape. Basic maintenance goes a looooooong way towards keeping your suit up. The only other expense is some pure talc & zipper wax. I wax the zipper every dive day & have never had a prob. with a zipper (knock wood).

I beg to differ on this statement. I've had my Bare drysuit for over a year now and thus far, the cost of maintaining the suit is 1 bottle of pure talc and a zipper wax all bought from LP. As for the undergarments, I must've spent less than $300. If you take good care of the seals and zippers, they should last for a long time.

No cost as in the total cost of everything is more than the cost of the suit....as in to keep in mind there is more to the cost than just the suit. I started with the cheap fleece undergarment, but I ended up going with the more expensive synthetic insulation. I decided that I needed a dry suit to enjoy diving, so for me the costs are just part of diving. I also accept that if I blow a seal then my trip is over. I am doing a 3-day live-aboard with my 16 y/o this weekend - with me I'll bring some cigars, a couple of books and at least one bottle of wine. Diving or not I will have a nice time :wink:

Otter Bay hood for sure. Cricket is well known throughout the Monterey area. You will find most people that dive often use her 12mm hoods, and they are custom made, so they fit nice and tight. Did I mention they are 12mm??? Double the thickness of your average hood. Most of us that dive together use one, and those that don't wish they did.

XS Scuba makes a pair of gloves that are dry gloves yet neoprene. My friend tried everything from ringed dry gloves that he hated along with many other brands of gloves before finally settling on the XS Scuba dry gloves. They do not attach to the suit instead they use a neoprene seal.

At some point you need to get a drysuit and quite wasting money on wetsuit stuff. I was wearing a 4/3 O'Niell ZEN ZIP full suit then a 7mm Pinnacle Polar, for 11mm over most of my body, with 7mm booties, and I was still cold after about 25 minutes. Now in a drysuit I can complete an 80 minute dive and be comfortably cold.

I have to second the Drysuit...I've seen quite a few good ones in the 400-600 used. I picked up a pretty good DUI TLS350 with good seals and Rock Boots for $500 and 2 sets 200g/400g BARE undergarments and hood for $150. Total was $650 including shipping plus $20 for some good hunting socks. It was also fairly easy to learn IF you are comfortable with buoyancy to begin with.

The longer you keep the core warm, the longer it is before the body robbs the circulation from the hands/feet.

well since your not looking to go dry,
I have a pair of 7mm kevlar gloves that I love, they work wonders, look just like these, but in a 5 finger, I still have more than enough dexterity to operate my inflator, exhaust, knife, speargun. That will help some.

Since I see that you are a Pinnacle fan, why not just step up to their Extreme 8/6, more warmth on your core will mean warmer blood to your hands and feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom