Comal River -- Feb 11, 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Willie

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It was 36 degs when I left my house and a strong wind. As I put the gear in the car I was thinking how crazy I was and hoping it wasnt so windy in New Braunfels. Met subzero in Austin and we went on down together.

It was the first trip to the Comal for both of us. Water was nice, but when not in the water, the weather was just about unbearable. Air temp was 54 degs and the wind was as forecasted.
Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 54. North northwest wind
between 15 and 20 mph.
At least the sun was shining. The restrooms were closed so we had to change in my Caravan.

There were quite a few other divers there. I had expected to have the place to ourselves based on the forecast. When we arrived there were about 10 other divers there in two groups, one that was in the water and one that was preparing. Briefly spoke with some of them. One group was from San Antonio. As we were getting suited up for the first dive a couple of soldiers from Ft Hood showed up. When we were getting out after the second dive, there was a large group (about 10-15) from Houston somewhere that had just arrived.

I had hoped I would meet some fellow scubaboarders today, but the wind kept me moving. My apologies to any of you that I spoke with for not taking more time to visit.

First dive we entered the water near the playground just off Hinman Island Dr. at 1239pm with a plan to swim against the current for practice until we were ready to turn and then drift back. We slowly made our way upstream about 1/4 mile occasionally angling across the river to the other side. Then we headed back until we were ready to call it quites. Subzero was in a 3mm and getting pretty cold. I was in my 3mm farmer john with a diveskin underneath and quite comfortable in the water.

We got out at the same place we got in - the first set of steps upstream from the playground. Water temp 74 deg, dive time :51, about :35 of that going against the current, depth only 5-9'. We saw some fish and each played with our cameras. It was the first time for subzero to use his SeaLife digital. Got out and headed straight to the car where we changed and stuffed our gear back in as quickly as we could.

Went into town to Jack-in-the-Box to use restroom and get something to eat. I downloaded all my stuff to the laptop and reformatted my stick so as to start fresh the second time. We drove around Landa Park a bit and headed back to the dive spot.

We geared up for a second dive. We walked upstream a ways and the plan was to drift as slowly as we could back downstream to the deeper area just before the tube chute and then head upstream until we choose to get out. In at 3:46pm, out at 4:33pm.

I took lots of video with my Sony W-7 and some picts. I will post some when I get the chance to look at them. We saw quite a few fish in the deeper end, I think max depth on this dive was still only about 12 feet. Two very large catfish in different locations that were quite interesting. Looked like they were asleep or something. They wouldnt even move even if I was right on top of them. I got a few picts I hope one turns out.

The highlight was probably a larger crawfish that posed for some macro shots and some video. All in all a very relaxing dive of :47. Air temp at this time was 56 degs.

Forgot to add that the water was pretty clear but there were a lot of particulates in places. I estimate vis varied from 6-12'.

Willie

Thanks for the report, Willie. I love that little river. Did you see the plecostomus? Last trip (Christmas Eve) we saw two very large abandoned "suckerfish", evidently from someone's aquarium? I don't remember seeing any other catfish there.

Foo:
Thanks for the report, Willie. I love that little river. Did you see the plecostomus? Last trip (Christmas Eve) we saw two very large abandoned "suckerfish", evidently from someone's aquarium? I don't remember seeing any other catfish there.
I think that is what we saw. Attached is a picture (not very good) of one. The one in the picture was probably 12-14" long and the other was maybe even 18" long and very fat.

Willie

I posted some pictures from the dive yesterday.
The ones with the brown cast were taken with my filter on. Just had it on by habit, but it did much better in that shallow of water without the filter.

I have some video I am working on, and should be able to get it posted later today.

Willie

Nice pictures... I dove the Comal a few years ago...

Hey on the Plecos... Imight be a good idea to contact Fish and game to get them out of there before they start multiplying.... remember how the snakehead event started? with just a small fisherman who caught one going "What is this?"

What was the snakehead event, Ben? Thanks!

And, Willie, yes, that's the guys I was talking about... you must have been in the Prince Solms park area, unless there's more plecos in other areas of the river. They're pretty darn cool- we were thinking the big one was at least two feet long.

I'm waiting to hear from Archman about this subject...

Ben_ca:
Nice pictures... I dove the Comal a few years ago...

Hey on the Plecos... Imight be a good idea to contact Fish and game to get them out of there before they start multiplying.... remember how the snakehead event started? with just a small fisherman who caught one going "What is this?"

They already know. There are established and thriving populations in both the Comal and the San Marcos. In the San Marcos, plecos are the most populous species in many parts of the river. Apparently they don't adversly compete with native varieties. They sure make for some fat snapping turtles though. I'm also seeing some big tilapia in the San Marcos but no sign of reproduction yet. I'm thinking fish fry.

Snakeheads in Michigan

They though they couldn't survive in the cold but I guess they were wrong... Maryland is battling them too.

I didn't know that Plecos in the wild is old news there.. didn't find anything online about them being on the loose in TX.

Tilapia can be tasty... Grilled whole and dipped in Soy sauce with Lemon :)

When I did dive Comal I got a kick out of the vis , warm water and the drift. Now if you guys can just get it about 20 more ft deeper and about 200 yards longer it would be perfect :)

Willie what a great report....sounds and 'looks' like so good diving was had!!

Willie,
Great trip report. After the first dive, I got so cold with that 54degree wind blowing so hard. Great pics, btw.

Back
Top Bottom