Comal River, camping???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YellowfinKunkfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Kunk35 and I are trying to plan a trip to dive the Comal river in November. Has anyone ever camped with an RV in this area? We need a good campground, close to the river. We also need to know what specific area of this river to dive? Or does it matter? Any information about campgrounds, the river, where to dive, etc... would be greatly appreciated!

Rhonda

Landa RV campground is right on the river, you can set up right on the edge. I have tent camped there but can't speak as to how "good" they are from an RV perspective.

The Comal is so short you'll pretty much drift the whole thing. Landa is a good place to start and we have rented a day site just for that purpose before. It's up to you whether to inflate and ride the chutes and falls, or walk around them. If you ride them, hold onto your reg and mask with one hand and block with the other arm. It's fun but once in awhile you get pushed into the bottom. Get out at the last public exit. Probably won't be any tuber trolleys to catch then so maybe take two vehicles and stage one at the end.

If you ride them, hold onto your reg and mask with one hand and block with the other arm.

LOL! What is this? Football?

It's a fun dive. Kinda like Cozumel in one (and probably only one) respect...it's pretty much a drift dive. Just STEER.
Have fun!

We looked at Landa RV park, and that is where we were going to stay. But, then we read a review, and don't think my inlaws, who have a 5th wheel, will be able to fit in there. Something about the sites, not being longer than 35 feet. So, we're trying to find another spot. Has anyone stayed anywhere on the Guadalupe river, when they went to dive the Comal?

Rhonda

I would almost recommend calling up some of the places off River Road on the Guadalupe like 2nd Crossing Camp or Rockin' R... excellent RV slips...

And for the record... RV =/= camping...

Call Landa, I've seen some pretty big rigs in there. Maybe they won't be able to get down to the river side but that's the off season so the park might be willing to make it work for you.

Try the Chamber of Commerce list. Let me know if you need air while you're here, closest dive shop fill is San Marcos (not open Sunday) to the North and Universal City to the South in NE San Antonio. Although one tank will last you a good long while, last time I was on the Comal a couple of weeks ago I logged 110 minutes submerged. Reefhound is right, Landa RV is the most convient to the Comal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom