Colored LP hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We can get some colors.

#6: Always look cool.

Dacor sells the long yellow octo hoses. 7' lists at $39.95.
Another source is ebay ...mostly 24.95 but sometimes 15.99.

Make sure any hose you have is a quality hose, and that the outer covering has the pin holes to prevent a burst in the event that something goes wrong. Too many people have got in trouble gettin sub standard hoses trying to exercise this so called rule#6 I heard about.

However there is no need for a colored hose. In a real out of air emergency with normal recreational divers the person is most likely to jerk the hose from your mouth. In technical diving, evryone should know (if they don't run away from them as fast as possible) how to secure your long hose. A colored hose could only add complication to the issue, not help. Show up to some places with a yellow hose, and your rule#6 will backfire on you.

Also, the color dying deteriorates the hose at a dramatically different rate. Check other hoses and you will see the drying effect that the dyes have, it is very obvious.

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
Also, the color dying deteriorates the hose at a dramatically different rate. Check other hoses and you will see the drying effect that the dyes have, it is very obvious.

Do you have any proof/evidence for this other than your own anecdotes?

jonnythan once bubbled...

Do you have any proof/evidence for this other than your own anecdotes?

I don't have any sort of scientific evidence and I doubt that anybody does, but I second that. Colored hoses do not last long at all. I've replaced many of them.

another good reason not to use a colored hose (irrespective of "rule 6" or durability issues) is that you should always donate the reg you are breathing from and that may not be the one with the yellow hose.

This isn't an issue if you are ALWAYS going to be breathing the long (yellow) hose but if you ever do any deco diving or stage diving you'll be breathing other regs (that don't have yellow hoses) most of the time. You still want to donate the reg in your mouth so the colored hose theory is mute anyway.

WYDT once bubbled...
another good reason not to use a colored hose (irrespective of "rule 6" or durability issues) is that you should always donate the reg you are breathing from

Not correct if on a rebreather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom