Color Correction dive masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried one a number of years back. For the first part of the dive it was pretty good (30ft, Caribbean waters) but as the dive progressed the effect lessened, my brain recalibrated itself and the colors looked the same as they did with a normal mask....back at the surface everything looked strange until my eyes adjusted back to the not having the mask on. Bottom line, fun to borrow but I would not buy one.

I tried one a number of years back. For the first part of the dive it was pretty good (30ft, Caribbean waters) but as the dive progressed the effect lessened, my brain recalibrated itself and the colors looked the same as they did with a normal mask....back at the surface everything looked strange until my eyes adjusted back to the not having the mask on. Bottom line, fun to borrow but I would not buy one.

I've been diving Seavision red lenses for over a decade, and have never experienced this sensation.

I dived in Hawaii and a buddy convinced me to try his Seavision mask with a magenta lens. I liked it so much I came home and bought one for myself. Been using it for blue water diving ever since.

Bonus: Until I tried his Seavision, I thought I would just always have a little leak in my mask because of facial hair. After one dive with his, I realized that I never had to clear my mask during the whole dive. That was also part of the reason for buying one. Actually, it is why I bought one in every lens color - magenta, yellow, and clear.

Bonus: I need gauge reader lenses and the Seavision can be purchased with those built in, so that's what I got.

Bonus: I need gauge reader lenses and the Seavision can be purchased with those built in, so that's what I got.

My vision finally got so bad that I was using the gage reader lenses for distance vision underwater. I finally had to upgrade and have my entire prescription ground into new lenses, but Seavision handled that, too.

@SteveAD and @jonnythan hit the nail on the head. It just filters light. I can't imagine it would be useful for anything other than a really shallow reef dive.

Knowing that my brain is making it's own color-corrections I'd still like to try it sometime. I have a couple of medium red camera filters that I can stick inside my mask and can be held in place with just some de-fog solution (Spit). I've been carrying the filters around for over a year now and haven't tried it yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom