Colony Mica Mine in Alstead, NH?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

news to me of closing it to diving. Our LDS still does training dives there. They have never been turned away. The only thing to be careful of is not to go in the water when there are people shooting traps there. It's a popular spot for shooting targets with locals. Nothing worse than walking back from the water to car with compressed air on back and getting shot.

'T'would be preferable to be shot without a can of compressed air on back? :shocked2:

If they are shooting traps you'll probably only be pelleted with pellets as they fall to earth. Not that makes much diff but being pelted with falling pellets is preferable to being hit with a larger, single, projectile still on its primary trajectory.

We were there the other day. Turns out my Uncle has dove there in the 70's, did it with a hard hat and brass boots or something like that. The initial quarry itself is 80-90 ft deep, however there is a shaft at the bottom of the main quarry that goes down to 190 ft. I guess it's a pretty neat dive, there's railroad tracks, picks and wheelbarrows and a fire pit at the bottom of the shaft. Apparently, the decrepit structure as you walk up the road to the quarry was where the mining carts on the tracks dumped their loads and it used to be accessible.

Did anyone ever dive the mica mine in Alstead? I just ran across this thread and I'm very intrigued.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom