collecting Marine Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shil:
HI seadragon,
get a catalogue from ' aquatic eco' , this is a aquaculture supply house in florida, it features one great net for collecting, this is the net with a clear acrylic handle and a soft mesh net, also quite clear. works wonderfully well. (sorry forget the references for the above).
Also try using a clear plastic bag, lay a rock in it with some chum or bait , find a fishy area . arrange the bag on the bottom and wait . Pounce to close and bag the fish. wrasses can be had like this. bigger bag for bigger fish, no limits...:)

Shil
there is so much stuff on that site.... maybe i will actually start catching fish in stead of going home empty handed... thanks for the site and info

Footslogger:
====================
I always made my own. I'll look in the storage room to see if I still have one laying around and take a photo for you. All the materials needed (minus the sewing machine) can be purchased at Home Depot or your local hardware store.

I had originally thought of applying for a patent and marketing the net ...since as best I could tell at the time (early 1970's) it was the only one of it's kind. But, as fate would have it, I didn't and little by little the word spread and within a year or two I saw other divers with similar designs.

This net works for all fish. I even made one that worked on yellow headed jaw fish. I used a much longer section of clear plastic and positioned it right over/near the edge of their hole(s). I attached small line to the wire collar and when the jawfish swam up and out of it's hole I just pulled the line. The fish was left unharmed, swimming inside the net above the sand and could be easity transfered to my collection bucket.

'Slogger
that would be cool if you could take some pics so i can get some ideas... thanks so much.... i might be cheaper too....

maractwin:
I've bought some vinyl nets from http://www.deepsixintl.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=64&cat=TROPICAL+FISH+COLLECTING+TOOLS which I've been happy with.

I urge you to first research the fish you are interested in and only collect what you will be able to successfully keep in an aquarium. Many of the attractive Caribbean fish require specialized foods or more space than can easily be provided in a tank. To put a grey angel into a tank smaller than 300 gallons would be cruel, and even that is pushing it. While there are exceptions based on species, a good rule of thumb is that the tank needs to be at least 5 times as long as the fish. That parrot that grows to 18 inches would need a tank at least 9 feet long, and that's still a tiny space compared to the territory it would defend on the reef.

-Mark
i will do that.... but from what i was told though that grey angels and queen angels stay around the same rock usally....but i am going too look into getting a 300 gal tank made.... but i will make it my self of course it would cost an arm and a leg if some one made it.....

I don't know about Florida, but here in California you need more than just a fishing license for many species. I believe the fishing license only covers you for game invertebrates and fish. Here you need a collecting permit for non-game animals.

drbill:
I don't know about Florida, but here in California you need more than just a fishing license for many species. I believe the fishing license only covers you for game invertebrates and fish. Here you need a collecting permit for non-game animals.
i had asked fwc and they said all u need is a fishing license if you are collecting for yourself... if u are collecting for commercial the u Will need to get a commercial license

Good for checking in advance. Even as a scientist I can't technically collect without a permit here.

We have found that a tickle stick of some sort is very helpful. One method I use is to put the net under the fish and lift up when they swim over. Another is over a hole in a rock and use the stick to get them to swin out into the net (Blennys and fish in crevices you really need the tickle stick to get them to come out).

sea_dragon:
i had asked fwc and they said all u need is a fishing license if you are collecting for yourself... if u are collecting for commercial the u Will need to get a commercial license

Be careful WHERE you collect in the Keys...:D

Collecting marine life species -- tropical fish, invertebrates, and plants -- except allowed by
Florida Marine Life Rule (46-42 F.A.C.). Sanctuary regulations have been established to complement this rule and apply throughout the Sanctuary.

And if you catch anything strange...notify the following...
http://research.myfwc.com/services/collections/what_fish.asp

PaulChristenson:
Be careful WHERE you collect in the Keys...:D

Collecting marine life species -- tropical fish, invertebrates, and plants -- except allowed by
Florida Marine Life Rule (46-42 F.A.C.). Sanctuary regulations have been established to complement this rule and apply throughout the Sanctuary.

And if you catch anything strange...notify the following...
http://research.myfwc.com/services/collections/what_fish.asp
yes that is true... in sanctuary is are protected by the state... so forget collecting them at all there.....but most other reefs you are able to access and collect just about anything with in regualtions to FWC.... by the way is there a booklet that contains the Florida marine life rules...

bjpell:
We have found that a tickle stick of some sort is very helpful. One method I use is to put the net under the fish and lift up when they swim over. Another is over a hole in a rock and use the stick to get them to swin out into the net (Blennys and fish in crevices you really need the tickle stick to get them to come out).
i will try the tickle stick to see if that will work for me.... thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom