collecting Marine Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea_dragon

Reaction score
What is the best way to collect Fish and other creatures.... is there a course a special way of collecting them...

I'm guessing you're talking about capturing them live for an aquarium ??

When I used to catch my own fish I used a home made net made of clear vinyl and window screen. The first foot or so of the assembly was the clear vinyl. Then came about 8" or so of the screen. I sewed a heavy gauge wire into the collar so that I could collapse it once the fish was inside.

The fish could not readily see the clear vinyl and I could get my hand behind them to coax them toward/into the net.

This is a lot less stressful and damaging way to catch fish. Certainly not efficient enough for a commercial operation but when you're just catching your own it works.

'Slogger

cool thanks..... i have a net that works on grey angels but not on anything else... where could i find a clear vinyl net?

since you're in the tropics this may not be as applicable to you but here in the uk I had far more success with animals from tidepools than those collected by my father diving. Anything that can live in a little tidepool which heats up like crazy in full sun at low tide is tough and good for the aquarium in my view (and this usually includes some highly cool gobies, blennies, scorpions etc) and is easier to catch in the limited space. So my advice is hit the nearest rocky beach rather than the scuba for this purpose and don't collect too much at once or you'll blow the bioload in the aquarium.

(I assume you have looked into and acquired any necessary collecting licenses)

isurus:
since you're in the tropics this may not be as applicable to you but here in the uk I had far more success with animals from tidepools than those collected by my father diving. Anything that can live in a little tidepool which heats up like crazy in full sun at low tide is tough and good for the aquarium in my view (and this usually includes some highly cool gobies, blennies, scorpions etc) and is easier to catch in the limited space. So my advice is hit the nearest rocky beach rather than the scuba for this purpose and don't collect too much at once or you'll blow the bioload in the aquarium.

(I assume you have looked into and acquired any necessary collecting licenses)
oh yes i have a fishing license and i have some things i have caught... and thanks for the info... i am also from the UK.... living in miami florida

sea_dragon:
What is the best way to collect Fish and other creatures.... is there a course a special way of collecting them...

A Riffe Comp3XS works pretty good for me. :D

sea_dragon:
cool thanks..... i have a net that works on grey angels but not on anything else... where could i find a clear vinyl net?
====================
I always made my own. I'll look in the storage room to see if I still have one laying around and take a photo for you. All the materials needed (minus the sewing machine) can be purchased at Home Depot or your local hardware store.

I had originally thought of applying for a patent and marketing the net ...since as best I could tell at the time (early 1970's) it was the only one of it's kind. But, as fate would have it, I didn't and little by little the word spread and within a year or two I saw other divers with similar designs.

This net works for all fish. I even made one that worked on yellow headed jaw fish. I used a much longer section of clear plastic and positioned it right over/near the edge of their hole(s). I attached small line to the wire collar and when the jawfish swam up and out of it's hole I just pulled the line. The fish was left unharmed, swimming inside the net above the sand and could be easity transfered to my collection bucket.

'Slogger

HI seadragon,
get a catalogue from ' aquatic eco' , this is a aquaculture supply house in florida, it features one great net for collecting, this is the net with a clear acrylic handle and a soft mesh net, also quite clear. works wonderfully well. (sorry forget the references for the above).
Also try using a clear plastic bag, lay a rock in it with some chum or bait , find a fishy area . arrange the bag on the bottom and wait . Pounce to close and bag the fish. wrasses can be had like this. bigger bag for bigger fish, no limits...:)

Shil

I've bought some vinyl nets from http://www.deepsixintl.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=64&cat=TROPICAL+FISH+COLLECTING+TOOLS which I've been happy with.

I urge you to first research the fish you are interested in and only collect what you will be able to successfully keep in an aquarium. Many of the attractive Caribbean fish require specialized foods or more space than can easily be provided in a tank. To put a grey angel into a tank smaller than 300 gallons would be cruel, and even that is pushing it. While there are exceptions based on species, a good rule of thumb is that the tank needs to be at least 5 times as long as the fish. That parrot that grows to 18 inches would need a tank at least 9 feet long, and that's still a tiny space compared to the territory it would defend on the reef.

-Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom