Colder water wetsuit options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm hoping to do a bit (2 or 3) of colder water diving later this year (December) and was told to expect water temps of 45◦-55◦ as a result I'm considering picking up an inexpensive 7mil for around home on cooler dives too. Question is... would 7mil full with hood and core warmer be enough or should I be looking at a farmer John and Jacket for this type of water?

Would there be any chance of a 5mil working if I wear a 1mil full suit and 3mil core warmer layered underneath? (just thinking options that are usable in my home diving area of Maui)

Thanks for ideas/options ...

btw - drysuit is not an option... yet :wink:

Aloha, Tim

Are you planning on heading up the PNW this year? The water sounds a little warm for December. :D

A 7mm bodysuit and a hooded vest might be enough if it fits really well and you have a some natural insulation (nice euphemism). If you're going for versitility, a 7mm body suit and hooded vest or the option you listed would work well.

Another option is a bodysuit with a shorty worn over it. I have something similar: the Whites ADS. I'll have to gain a few pounds if I want the shorty to have a snug fit on its own though. I've never heard of a better excuse to have another piece of cake!

Actually Alabama - I've been on the Deep Dixie Divers area and had some really nice invites to dive down there when I am in town at the end of the year.

it was recommended that I rent a 7mil while down there, but I'd kind of like to make the most of my diving time while there and not be figuring out my weighting, etc..

So I was considering a custom suit from Triple-L (about $150) just not convinced yet... I do know a few divers in Hawaii that use a 7mil regularly, but I'm one of those "well rounded" individuals with a bit of that "natural insulation" you mentioned :D

I'll second the 7mm with hooded vest recommendation. The 2 piece farmer john setups aren't that functional as individual pieces. With the 7mm, you can add or ditch the hooded vest(hv) as required, or even use the hv with a 3mm or other suit.

Juls

Juls64:
I'll second the 7mm with hooded vest recommendation. The 2 piece farmer john setups aren't that functional as individual pieces. With the 7mm, you can add or ditch the hooded vest(hv) as required, or even use the hv with a 3mm or other suit.

Juls

Ditto that. I use a 7mil Tilos Semi-Dry with a hooded vest in the PNW. If you go with a 1 piece, then you really do need the hooded vest. Scuba.com has them for $50.00. I stay pretty warm by the way. At 90 feet I do start to feel a little chill but nothing unbearable. Good Luck!

For versatility I would go with the 5mm combo but would consider a hood. I do 45 degree dives in IN with a 6.5mm semi dry and stay warm. For my OW classes in the same water I did them in a regular 5mm and was ok. The big factor is the surface temp or rather lack of.

45 to 55 is a big range. 55 is not really that cold and a 7mm would be fine. But 45 is into where you really would want a drysuit not just for comfort but to prevent hypothermia
At 50F a 7mm still works but it feels cold and the cold will limit you to lenght of dive. Ask if it really is going to be 50 to 45 or 55 to 50 there is a big difference. For the colder range take a drysuit class and rent a drysuit.

For low 50's I use a 7mm jumpsuit with a hooded vest under and 5mm gloves and 5mm boots. I can do two dives to 51F and not be totally chilled. The _best_ thing to have is one of those knee lenght dive jackets and/or a supply of hot water to pour into the suit between dives.

Don't even think about a 5mm suit for water below 55F except you might put a 5mm "shorty" under your 7MM jumpsuit. My opinion (others disagree) is that the the shory is better then a john/jacket because of water cirulation. The suit that seals best is warmer.
Also "fit" is critical. There should be zero space between you and the suit. 14mm thinkness is no good if the inside water can exchange with the outside water. I think the john/jacet allows to much exchange, most people here use the full suit and hooded vest but then it only gets downto low 50's here.

Water temps here (So. Cal.) are running low to mid 50's at depth right now. I've seen divers from out of the area come here and they think "high 50's" is intollerably cold. It takes a while for the mental adjustment. So just figure you will be thinking the water is colder then it really is. You will want a suit that is warmer then whatever the locals use.

Also there are some dive skills to learn. a 7mm suit with a layer under it will compress a lot at depth. You will need to add a lot of air to the BC as you go down. Then with a compressed wetsuit and much air in the BC you have the potential to become a rocket on the asent. Not a big deal, beginning OW students learn. Weights are between 22 and 30 pounds here depending... Some divers don't like the john/jacket because of the amount a lead you need with them. Beach diving with 27 pounds of lead and a 40 pound steel tank is a workout if the surf is up. Using less wetsuit lets you drop some of the lead.

kidspot:
I'm hoping to do a bit (2 or 3) of colder water diving later this year (December) and was told to expect water temps of 45◦-55◦ as a result I'm considering picking up an inexpensive 7mil for around home on cooler dives too. Question is... would 7mil full with hood and core warmer be enough or should I be looking at a farmer John and Jacket for this type of water?
Would there be any chance of a 5mil working if I wear a 1mil full suit and 3mil core warmer layered underneath? (just thinking options that are usable in my home diving area of Maui) ]

kidspot:
Actually Alabama - I've been on the Deep Dixie Divers area and had some really nice invites to dive down there when I am in town at the end of the year.

it was recommended that I rent a 7mil while down there, but I'd kind of like to make the most of my diving time while there and not be figuring out my weighting, etc..

So I was considering a custom suit from Triple-L (about $150) just not convinced yet... I do know a few divers in Hawaii that use a 7mil regularly, but I'm one of those "well rounded" individuals with a bit of that "natural insulation" you mentioned :D

The tripple L suits are not bad. Thier only real problem is they use a material that is not as stretchy and soft as the more expensive suits. But if custom made you will not care as the fit will not depend on strech. A well fitting suit would not need to be made of high tech rubber. Hacve them make you a vest too.

You will need a "plan b" in case the fit is not perfect. Either allow much lead time so you can send it back for re-work or find a local custom suit maker who can do and required re-work.

One other thing. Check that your fins fit any new boots you buy. I'd say there is a 50% chance you may need to upsize the fins if you don't watch this. Bring the fins with you when you try on the boots. Only half the makes of 5mm boots will fit both my feet and my size "reg" Mares fins.

If you only expect to dive 2 or 3 times in that temperature range, layer the items you have. It will be more important to be able to get dry and warm between dives.

ChrisA:
The tripple L suits are not bad. Thier only real problem is they use a material that is not as stretchy and soft as the more expensive suits. But if custom made you will not care as the fit will not depend on strech. A well fitting suit would not need to be made of high tech rubber. Hacve them make you a vest too.

You will need a "plan b" in case the fit is not perfect. Either allow much lead time so you can send it back for re-work or find a local custom suit maker who can do and required re-work.

One other thing. Check that your fins fit any new boots you buy. I'd say there is a 50% chance you may need to upsize the fins if you don't watch this. Bring the fins with you when you try on the boots. Only half the makes of 5mm boots will fit both my feet and my size "reg" Mares fins.

Thanks Chris,

I currently use a triple-l 3 mil (stock suit) and really like it... but it's tight and the largest size they make - so I know a 7mil from them will NOT fit, expecially over anything else. My current boots are 7mil, so I'm assuming they will be fine. And I use XXL jets with lots of extra room if I do go larger boots :wink:

As to plan B - I would hope to have it by September so I'd have 3 months to work out issues with it..

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom