Cold Wwater/Deep Water Reg.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ktrjc

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking to get a new 1st stage and reg., due to money I would like it to function nicely in deep water and cold water (40 degrees give or take a few and probably ice diving in the future). Any advice info would be appreciated. Looking to stay under the $250-$300 price range if possible.

Thanks,
KTRJC

ktrjc:
I am looking to get a new 1st stage and reg., due to money I would like it to function nicely in deep water and cold water (40 degrees give or take a few and probably ice diving in the future). Any advice info would be appreciated. Looking to stay under the $250-$300 price range if possible.

Thanks,
KTRJC

While there are certainly users of piston first stage models in such conditions, I lean toward diaphragm designs. The piston models that are environmentally sealed are geneally more reliable in such cold water, but the ones that don't utilize some mechanism are known for frequently icing over.

I personally use Mares and Apeks regs. In 29 years of cold water diving, I've yet to have a single free flow. My Apeks DS4, is environmentally sealed, but the Mares regs do not use the cold water kit. Much of my cold water diving success is from using strict protocols to prevent such free flow problems. I suggest that you read as much as you can, as such knowledge will go a long way to prevent this potentially dangerous situation.

Many second stages utilize either a metal air barrel or metal body. These are beneficial in transfering heat energy to the critical surfaces. I also recommend removing or pulling back the hose protector on a second stage. This allows the water's warmth to warm the incoming cold gas. Some models even use a type of heat exchanger to aid in this important step.

As far as specific models go....There are several choices. I suggest that you research the ones available. Make certain that it can be serviced by a reputable tech.

If you need more info feel free to PM.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

ktrjc:

Thanks,
KTRJC

How deep is deep to you? Greg made a good post so I won't repeat him. What I'll do instead is tell you what I know about specific regulators.

Aqualung makes two really good cold water regs based on diaphragm designs. The Titan LX Glacia and the Legend LX supreme. I have one of both (not surprisingly since I dive in cold water a lot) and I've had good experiences with both. In contrast to Greg I have seen many free flows with these regs (and with the apeks) as I assist with training in freezing water and the shop's rental stock consists mostly of titans..... To date all but one of these free flows happened on the surface and were caused by sloppy entries.

Sherwood also makes a couple of really good cold water regs based on piston designs. Theirs are called the Maximus and the Blizzard. Both are bullet proof. I've never seen either of these free flow but neither one of them can be called a smooth breather as compared to the upper end Aqualungs. The Blizzard has the problem that at depth it's a bit stiff. Compared to the legend it feels like there's a marble stuck in the hose. The Maximus is better and the cracking pressure can be adjusted on the fly but it's also more expensive.

But that's the trade off too. A high performance reg will be a little more likely to free flow on the whole but if you ask me the ease of breathing is worth it. The simple fact is that if you dive in cold water you're reg will eventually free flow so it's best to prepare and spend the time practicing so it doesn't scare the bejezus out of you when it happens. Also, as I mentioned already most free flows happen on the surface and are easily stopped by closing the tank valve and letting the reg thaw out for a few minutes before going further. And the last thing to say about this is that there are free flows and there are free flows. Violent nightmarish free flows are uncommon in the cold. What usually happens is that your reg persists with bubbling as if you are exhaling.

R..

I definitely understand your desire to keep the price down, but I always suggest that the one piece of gear you don't want to set a budget on is your regulator. It is your life support - you are going to have a very bad day if it doesn't work well.

For cold/deep, I love Poseidon. I've had them in 31 degree fahrenheit rivers, I've had them very deep, I've had them in caves...they are unstoppable. Some don't like them, but hey...

Apeks is another high quality brand that shouldn't fail you at all.

Scubapro's..ehh...so-so. I've personally had terrible luck with them, and so have most of the people I dive with. On that river dive I mentioned, only one diver out of all of us didn't have Poseidons - he used a Scubapro S600. Guess which diver only had about 30 second of bottom time after his reg froze up?

What reg to use is a huge debate - get what is comfortable for you, but don't skimp.

Diver0001:
How deep is deep to you? Greg made a good post so I won't repeat him. What I'll do instead is tell you what I know about specific regulators.

Aqualung makes two really good cold water regs based on diaphragm designs. The Titan LX Glacia and the Legend LX supreme. I have one of both (not surprisingly since I dive in cold water a lot) and I've had good experiences with both. In contrast to Greg I have seen many free flows with these regs (and with the apeks) as I assist with training in freezing water and the shop's rental stock consists mostly of titans..... To date all but one of these free flows happened on the surface and were caused by sloppy entries.

Sherwood also makes a couple of really good cold water regs based on piston designs. Theirs are called the Maximus and the Blizzard. Both are bullet proof. I've never seen either of these free flow but neither one of them can be called a smooth breather as compared to the upper end Aqualungs. The Blizzard has the problem that at depth it's a bit stiff. Compared to the legend it feels like there's a marble stuck in the hose. The Maximus is better and the cracking pressure can be adjusted on the fly but it's also more expensive.

But that's the trade off too. A high performance reg will be a little more likely to free flow on the whole but if you ask me the ease of breathing is worth it. The simple fact is that if you dive in cold water you're reg will eventually free flow so it's best to prepare and spend the time practicing so it doesn't scare the bejezus out of you when it happens. Also, as I mentioned already most free flows happen on the surface and are easily stopped by closing the tank valve and letting the reg thaw out for a few minutes before going further. And the last thing to say about this is that there are free flows and there are free flows. Violent nightmarish free flows are uncommon in the cold. What usually happens is that your reg persists with bubbling as if you are exhaling.

R..
Ditto on the Aqua-Lung. I also have the Titan LX (not the glacia) and I have been regularly diving in water temps in the high 30's low 40's and have never had any sort of freeze up problems. You are right though about the free flow issues on this reg. Mine does occaisionally let it rip at the surface, but its easy to rectify and even prevent now that I know what to watch out for. A couple of my regular buddies use the Sherwoods and they seem to have no problem with those regards freezeup either. Ironically I also have a Blizzard that I got for free....a friend found a brand new one still in box in the cellar of a house he bought. I can't tell you how well it works though as my intent has been to use ut as a backup to my Titan.....but as the Titan has never failed me, the Blizzard gets NO use!

My buddy and I have had great success with the post-Apeks line of Zeagles in cold water. Oceanic makes some nice sealed regs too. LP has some sealed Deltas in the $250 range if you don't mind going the mail-order route... Scubatoys has some great deals too.

Greg was right about service and warranty. If you cannot get it serviced with free parts and it doesn't ahve a lifetime warranty, you will end up paying for parts on what you saved on the cost of the reg.
That being said, looking around I think that $300 may be just a little shallow for the ideal reg bu there are exceptions. If you are willing to go just a little over there is the famed ATX50 that you are guaranteed to be happy with and never have to upgrade. If that is a little toomuch do not hesitate with the ATX 40 as it will keep you happy and is a bit cheaper.
The Mares Abyss is a great breathing reg without any confusing knobs or dials, but I am not 100% on their warranty and parts guarantee.
Aeris has a new reg called the Atmos sport that you would also be happy with and it sells for a decent price but I am not sure that it is well supported for service as it is new. Again check where ever you are going to get yours done.
I think that your best bet though would likely be the Titan Glacia as mentioned or if you want a better second stage that will perform better at depth go for the Titan LX supreme. Both have an environmentally sealed first stage and have a parts for life guarantee. As long you can getit serviced I think that this may be your best bet for the conditions of cold water and possible ice that you mentioned. Hope this helps...

ktrjc,

Since you're in Ohio, I would suggest the Zeagle DSV. Great price, lifetime warranty, environmentally sealed and I dive them to 120ft in 42 degree water regularly. I own 3. Oh, if makes a difference to you, they are also made in the US.

Thanks for all of the replies, I am looking at some of the ones you suggested and now have a few more to consider. Still saving the money, should be ready to buy in the next few months, plenty of more time to research on the web.

Thanks,
KTRJC

Good advice here but no one mentioned that the Apeks 200 and the AquaLung Titan's are the same reg., made by the same manufacturer (Apeks). Buy the one that you get the best buy on and can be supported by your local shop.

As mentioned before don't skimp on your underwater life support. Remember this is an extreme sport!

Happy New Year,

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom