Cold Wwater/Deep Water Reg.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of the older blizzards, had that type of plate right inside the second stage in front of the exhaust, thus all the exhaled gas would pass by it on the way out heating up the reg.

I'll join in an old thread and recommend considering the Mares MR22/Abyss.
I'm using it since couple of years, dove it in the winter off Nova Scotia and now in the Great Lakes without any problems. Great breather and very solid performance regardless how deep it goes.
http://www.mares.com/NS_NewsView.asp?news=55
Right now they are changing the design and you could grab one of the older ones for a very attractive price for such a high performance regulator. The change in design is only on the outside (new face plate) and the new ones are performing as good as the previous model.
I know that you're not interested in online shopping but I came along this while browsing and it may give you an idea about the pricing.
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=AbyssMR22 (Hi Larry :wink:)
The good thing about Mares is that you'll be able to service it pretty much all over the world as it being one of the big names in the industry. This is valid though for the other big names like Scubapro and Aqualung. While Zeagle are great, they are pretty much non existant outside of North America AFAIK. This may not be an issue for you if you don't intend to travel.
I'd recommend trying couple different regs that you may consider by asking other diver to allow you to try them out and even rent if you'll find the model you're interested in as a rental.

I went to the LDS, narrowed my selection to the Titan LX Supreme ($435) and the Legend LX Supreme ($610). I would love to get the Legend, however the price may be a little prohibitive, even with the 10% off. Any idea if Aqualung will offer the $100 discount this year?

Looked at the Apeks line, the T20 was about $350, the ATX50 was around $585, so these are also a little too much.

Any major cons to the Titan? This will also allow me to use my old Conshelf as the 2nd reg.

The titan is a good reg but if you're going to hang an old conshelf 2nd on it then I wonder why you need a new 1st stage. The best part about the titan is the balanced 2nd stage.

You might be better off buying the titan 2nd and hanging it on a conshelf 1st.

..... or do you mean tht you're going to buy the titan and use the conshelf 2nd for an octopus.....? If so then that's not a bad idea......

(do I sound as confused as I think I sound...?)

Aqualung might give you a trade in for your old conshelf. I'd ask about that.

R..

Diver0001:
The titan is a good reg but if you're going to hang an old conshelf 2nd on it then I wonder why you need a new 1st stage. The best part about the titan is the balanced 2nd stage.

You might be better off buying the titan 2nd and hanging it on a conshelf 1st.

..... or do you mean tht you're going to buy the titan and use the conshelf 2nd for an octopus.....? If so then that's not a bad idea......

(do I sound as confused as I think I sound...?)

Aqualung might give you a trade in for your old conshelf. I'd ask about that.

R..

The Conshelf 1st stage I have, doesn't have enough ports for another LP (octopus) :frown11: , if it had one more LP port I would gladly use it and just buy another regularor to use with it. So that is one of the reasons for buynig a new 1st and 2nd stage. Conshelf will hang as an octopus (and at times I may use it as a primary).

I want to keep the Conshelf and not trade it in as it was my dad's and I like to keep stuff like this just to pass on to the next generation.

ktrjc:
I went to the LDS, narrowed my selection to the Titan LX Supreme ($435) and the Legend LX Supreme ($610). I would love to get the Legend, however the price may be a little prohibitive, even with the 10% off. Any idea if Aqualung will offer the $100 discount this year?

Looked at the Apeks line, the T20 was about $350, the ATX50 was around $585, so these are also a little too much.

Any major cons to the Titan? This will also allow me to use my old Conshelf as the 2nd reg.

hey, you need to really shop around. those prices are way to high. for instance (and this is just for reference only, not to endorse this company), the Titan LX Supreme can be found for $255 at Leisure Pro. that's $180 difference. :O

call Larry at ScubaToys and he can give you a Regulator a heck of a lot better for the prices you mentioned.

ktrjc:
I am looking to get a new 1st stage and reg., due to money I would like it to function nicely in deep water and cold water (40 degrees give or take a few and probably ice diving in the future). Any advice info would be appreciated. Looking to stay under the $250-$300 price range if possible.

Thanks,
KTRJC

FWIW: I have never had a problem with my poseidon, in either cold or deep water.

Poog

Poogweese:
FWIW: I have never had a problem with my poseidon, in either cold or deep water.

Poog

I have looked at the Poseidons, they look like great regs, however due to the cost and the lack of a shop locally I don't think I will be getting one right now. Maybe a few years down the road.

Pre-owned Titan first stages can be very reasonable - Titan with coldwater kit are among my sets of backup regs. Converted to DIN and used on a tank with DIN valve, they sit really close to the tank!

Mares Hands down will be the best regulator. Why?
1. Metal second stage. designed to thermally insulate the parts inside the 2nd stage from the cold expansion of air that occurs when taking a breath. Believe it or not the "freeze up or free flow" will occur in the second stage not the first. Think about a thermos. Whether you are trying to keep you liquid cold or hot; what works better, a metal thermos or a plastic. Metal of course. The water although it is cold is warmer than air expansion inside the reg. The metal 2nd stage will act as a insulator and not prevent the working parts from freezing which can lead to a free flow and then everything compounds from there.

Also due to the Mares design of they bypass tube and also the Vortex not venturi the air expansion occurs very close to the diver not on the working parts as is the case with all the other manufacturers regs.

Even some regulators have stamped on the 1st stage "CE >10' C" This means the reg is not approved for water colder than 10 celcius which is approximate 50 Faren. Aqualung.

Mares specifically designs these metal regs to be outstanding in cold and perform at depth. Some of the competitors market overbalancing 1 stages and cold water kits for the 1st stage but for the most part it is marketing not for real functionality.

Mares has a new Abyss 05, better than the older model. Proton Metal is a great reg close to the price your looking $400. Proton Ice which is the top end but maybe more money than your looking to spend. I guarantee you won't be disappointed with the Mares regulator!

Hope this helps a little.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom