cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
sorry i don't know if this question is suitable for this forum but i'm new at this and i was wondering, how thick of a wetsuit would i need to be pretty comfortable in 60 degree water??

i dive in NJ and the water here is around 60 degrees depending on the time of year. I generally dive in a 7 mill, sometimes a 5 mill, with hood, gloves, and boots.

I agree. Up here in the Northeast 7mm wet suit with 5mm hood, gloves and boots nearly all season. Alot of us extend our season with dry suits, then once you buy one you use it all the time up here.

In 60 degree water, I would highly recommend a 7mm suit. I dive dry myself, because even with a 7mm I tended to get cold after anything longer than a 30 minute dive. But I'm a girl, and we seem to get a little colder, faster.

With a thicker suit, there's always ways to cool yourself down if you get too warm. If you're cold, there's not much you can do.

Voting for the 7mm with hood/boots/gloves. It's a nice combo for 60 degree water.
Ber :lilbunny:

Snowbear:
My "vote" is for a drysuit for water that cold, but I'm a wimp, so feel free to disregard this post :wink:

Same here. My wife dives a 7 mil with hood and gloves and does fine down to about 55-60 then she starts getting cold. If you are just getting started as a diver the new wet suits are expensive in my opinion for what you get. Once you go dry you will never go back. Dive tank has great deals on dry suits you can also try scuba toys. Some times the LDS will offer the class with the suit as a good deal to.

Could you update your profile so whe know where you are diving and for how long it can realy help.

How about a 3mm shorty:10:

I'm joking, but water under the thermocline is around 40-45 all season up here and a 7mm w/hood and gloves is a must if you want to go deeper than 20ft. I think that 60 degrees is pretty warm and I would probably be confortable in a 5 mm, no hood. Anyway, I love the comfort of my DUI Drysuit and adapt it to the temperature. But on vacation, when the water hits 70+, I use my 3mm shorty and am comfotable for 60+min dives. But it's a question of adaptation. If I'd go live in Florida for a couple of months, I'd probably become more "sensitive".

So I agree with the others, a 7mm, hood, gloves, boots and you should be fine.

brendanFROMlv:
sorry i don't know if this question is suitable for this forum but i'm new at this and i was wondering, how thick of a wetsuit would i need to be pretty comfortable in 60 degree water??

If you plan on doing this very much, you might want to consider a drysuit, since you'll end up going dry anyway, and then won't have wasted money on a thick wetsuit. :cool:

I dive dry pretty much anytime the water is less than 75 degrees, and gave my 5 mil wetsuit to my buddy.

Terry

Agree with MixDiver...a wetsuit ends up being one of those false economies. You'll spend the money on a wetsuit thinking it's cheaper, then the next season, you're dying to give somebody your money for a dry suit.

:)

PS Yep, learnt this the hard way myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom